SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmbelle

how to keep my sweet autumn clematis from taking over

Erin Powell
8 years ago

Sweet Autumn Clematis can be invasive in our area (it's only downside in my humble opinion). I took a volunteer plant from a friends yard and decided to have it grow up a trellis we recently put in. It took over the whole trellis in a season and with it fully in bloom it is a breathtaking sight... and when you do take finally take a breath, it smells like heaven!

Do any of you have experience with this plant and know when it goes to seed? I'm planning to make the effort so this beautiful plan does not take over our whole yard - whether that means picking off flowers before they go to seed or just chopping the whole plant just before it goes to seed and disposing of it... hoping I'll get to enjoy it for a little while before I do that!

Do any of you guys have experience keeping this monster under control? Next year, I plan on putting in a climbing rose or something that will stay in its boundaries a little better, but for now I will be managing this beast for a few years, so any help would be appreciated.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz