SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalhomeowner100

Very tall (20'-25') privacy hedge (or fence?)

SG_SoCal
8 years ago

I am about to do a total landscaping (mostly drought tolerant) of both front and back yards. Right now everything is pretty much dirt and weeds. Aside from the actual landscaping, my main concern is that I live next to an apartment complex (3 stories) and need a privacy hedge/wall along one side of my back yard. Its about 80' long! I think building a 20' high fence (which is about how tall I think it would need to be) is out of the question (right?), plus there are probably permit issues. I guess the other option is a hedge. I've been told podocarpus works well (and I like how it looks), but just looking for some advice. I was quoted $6500 for 65 5-gallon podocarpus (planted and guaranteed for 3 months), but thats going to take a LONG time to get up to the height I need for privacy (not to mention there's a couple of really annoying floodlights that come right into my back yard).

When the complex was built, they were supposed to create a privacy "wall" of trees on their side, which they did, but most of them died and there are only a couple left, which doesn't give much privacy at all. Not sure if I have any legal recourse here, but I guess thats a question for a different forum. :)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I can provide photos if that would help.

Thanks guys!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio