SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashapero19

Ground cover for nightmare lawn

A S
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey all,

After battling with my front lawn (Middle Tennessee), I've decided to abandon my attempts to keeping a nice (grass) green space, and make my lawn 100% ground cover instead.

It is on a fairly steep incline, where water rushes down along a far end, causing erosion. The half of the yard that deals with erosion is also by my neighbor's large tree, rock wall, and other various foliage (note: I could cut down the branches hanging into my yard but I kind of like them), which leads to poor grass growth.

The other half of the lawn is not nearly shaded as much, so I tend to get better grass growth, but it is still inconsistent, and weeds take over any spots that die off almost immediately.

Really I need something that can handle the summer heat in middle Tennessee, as well as odd light conditions ranging anywhere from nearly full shade to sun.

I've been thinking about either planting Mondo Grass or Liriope as I've seen both growing around me in various conditions. Seems like Liriope may be the better bet as it seems to have more tolerance for sun and shade?

This is a non walked on lawn, so resistance to foot traffic isn't a concern. Just want something that's hardy and will look nice on a large, sloped lawn.

Any thoughts?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions