SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linleon

Small bathroom remodel - suggestions needed

linleon
8 years ago

Facts:

One bathroom in house, house style is funky rather than fancy.

2 adults, 1 pre-teen using 1 bathroom

We have a well/cistern system and have to be extremely conservative with water in the summer as our well doesn't pump for 4-5 months.

What we like about current layout: big window, separate shower from tub, open airy feeling due to window and no enclosure around tub, lots of floor space due to layout, large counter space

What we don't like: SMALL shower (28x28) with shower curtain that sticks to your body while showering.

What we'd like:

Separate tub and shower. Hub loves the tub, I never use it.

Must be easy clean. I'm just not a great housekeeper and this bathroom gets A LOT of use. Wall mounted faucets? Under counter sink? Toilet with clean lines to floor or, what I'd love, a wall mounted toilet. Little or no grout (sorry, I know everyone is a tile lover). Minimum glass enclosures. Any other suggestions?

Is there any way I can get a decent sized shower and a tub in a bathroom of this size?

Is there any way I can get more privacy? This is becoming much more of an issue as our daughter gets older.

Also, any suggestions for tubs that use a minimum of water? It would be nice to use the tub in the summer but we currently can't because of our water issues. We've considered a Japanese style soaking tub but I'm having a hard time fitting it and a separate shower into the space we have.

The reason I'm hesitating on a tub/shower combo is because I think we'd need to go with glass enclosure to keep the airy feeling but I just know it would be less than clean most of the time. And any guests also have to use this bathroom. I think a shower curtain would make the bathroom feel much smaller because it would have to be pulled out to dry and odds are it would be pulled out most of the time. Plus, the tub would need to be cleaned SO MUCH.

We will be gutting the bathroom but in terms of cost I'm thinking it would be better on the budget to minimize the plumbing moves if possible. That being said, we're prepared to do it if necessary.

Here's the current layout of our bathroom. Door faces large window. Shower and tub on one wall, vanity and toilet on the other.

Comments (12)