SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blckrose

Hibiscus geranioides

blckrose
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Well, it is (almost) springtime in eastern Aus., so forgive me for posting a picture or two of what's coming into flower; and at this time of year the words of my old horticulture teacher at the Ryde School of H., way back in the late '70s - a master of the art of Bonsai - Leonard Webber: "the last week in August, the sap is rising in all things green and not so green, so get out into your garden and get ya hands dirty". Long gone is that fascinating character! Interestingly enough, 800 kms north of Sydney spring began around late July - a month ago. Anyway, this is the early flower of the native Hibiscus H. geranioides a lovely pink. It's native to the very north of Aus, perhaps up your way, Tropi., north W. A. across to northern Qld.

Comments (2)

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

Strangely enough I haven't heard of that one before. It does look a bit like our H. menzeliae, although the leaves are different. Maybe some of what I've thought were menzeliae were actually geranioides but I didn't look close enough. Going to have to keep a closer look out from now on.

• Ingrida
    8 years ago

Love your native hibi.

It looks very delicate.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor