SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
am_e

Trouble finding KD – pls help with layout

Am E
8 years ago

Help me gardenweb community, you’re my only hope! (reference? Anyone?.....:)

Melodrama aside, as of this week I’ve met with four different “kitchen designers” regarding the kitchen for our new build. As buehl so very helpfully clarified for me in this short thread,

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3306198/expectations-of-kitchen-designers-interior-designers-pls-help

all four (well maybe three, not sure about the last one yet), are actually cabinet sales people, and not actual kitchen “designers”. While I’m confident in all of their abilities to get the order right and deliver on time/budget/etc., only the last one gave any indication at all that they knew anything about or cared about good design (functional or aesthetic). (and the last one KD#4, my favorite KD thus far, works for a place that does not offer frameless cabs, which at this point I’m very partial to). (3 of 4 are listed on the NKBA website).

Basically, I’m running out of KDs to interview in my area, and am not confident that anyone I’ve interviewed so far can really help me get “the best kitchen I can afford in the space available.” (Maybe I ask too much?)

So will you weigh in on my layout? (hoping some pros will find this and weigh in too.) I need help with style choices too, but layout comes first. I’ve posted before, but it was suggested I start a new thread, so here goes –

What kitchen should I put in this space? I give two options, but they are only suggestions.

Here is the most recent draft of the first floor of our timberframe home:

Option A – G shape kitchen, like this best thus far

Option B – U with small island

About us:

Married couple, no kids, a dog, both work full time from home (often use kitchen 3x/day)

I cook, he sometimes preps, we share cleanup – most meals made at home

I’d really, really like 2 ovens. One oven can be smaller. I do not want a double oven range, that lower oven is unacceptable. However, the ovens can go side by side under counter. I might prefer that actually, rather than higher up in a wall.

My dream is a giant range with an induction cooktop and side-by-side ovens, maybe in red. This does not exist (at least in the US). Also, I think it is probably more practical to have the ovens and cooktop as separate appliances (easier to buy the preferred combination of each, easier to replace, etc.)

36” induction cooktop

Large single bowl, apron front sink

Ok that's enough for now. Thanks!

Comments (22)