SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kylemadsen

Disappearing Fish in New Pond

Kyle Madsen
8 years ago

Pond Info:

I recently completed a more or less 500 gallon pond and waterfall in our front yard. I'm definitely new to ponding. This is my first pond, and I have already learned a TON. It took about two weeks, 6-7 hours per day and $700 to build the pond, landscape, and buy fish.

I have no skimmer or UV filter. My biological/mechanical filter is homemade, and is the top basin of the water filter. The bio-media is lava rock. The 3500 gph pump just pumps the water from the pond and through the bio-media in the top basin. I would say the filter itself is probably around 30-40 gallons

After giving the pond three weeks to cycle it now seems to be chemically balanced. The pond probably only receives about two hours of full sunlight in the very late afternoon (5:30-7:30 PM), and algae levels seem to be balanced. I have planted a lily, but it is only just starting to sprout, so the water doesn't have much plant coverage.

Problem:

ANYWAY, I added 4 small (2-3 inch) goldfish yesterday (four comets, one shubunkin). Yesterday, they seemed to be hiding a lot, specifically under the large, flat rock that hides the pump from view. At night they were more active, but today after being gone all morning I can't find a single one! I lifted up the rock covering the pump, but couldn't find any fish there. Upon arriving home, I saw one darting around, but it swam underneath the pump rock and I couldn't find it after that.

Does anybody have ANY idea as to where my fish could be going?

I am worried that they may be getting sucked into the pump and getting stuck in the filter, where they would die and create ammonia spikes. Is that possible?

I haven't seen any cats, birds, or wildlife around the pond at all since introducing the fish.

Or are my fish just hiding in the rocks?

Pictures: (I should take a picture so you can actually see into the water)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw-mTv3CyXVkMUFLNzRTY3VJeUlpeFZtMllwX00zanpDZTVz/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw-mTv3CyXVkQ3pmd3pMQldobkJHSzJWckZMSnlxRVRYQVFj/view?usp=sharing

Comments (14)