SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenirene15

Japanese Red Maple Micro Farm

Irene
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This is my first Bonsai experiment...

I grittified the Hoffman Bonsai mix w/ the addition of composted bark from my grown from seed family heirloom maples' original soil and grow stone, I put this over a layer of pea to large bb-sized tumbled aquarium gravel which was prevented from escaping 2 large drainage holes (at least the size of quarters) by a fine copper diamond grate... not sure if I arranged their long roots appropriately. . I kind of placed them into respective divits and twisted them into spirals while integrating the finer but still very coarse granuales of the mix, the roots seemed fond of the mulchy bits in their last home so I let them cling to some of the original pieces rather then rinsing them bare.... Now, should I add some slightly larger river rock pebbles as a top coat? some even larger boulder looking fellas? I am leery of giving my now dwindling mold gnat foes (from other planting projects) access to composting materials.. What should I do? And what shoud I feed these guys? I saw they make special Japanese Maple Fert.... Ayuda me, por favor! (can't say "help me, please" in Japanese.. but I did shout BONSAI! as I dove into this project without my customary days of internet research and note taking, as I am in a rush to get them happy and keep them gnat free.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery