SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Tips on growing healthy & lots of blooms roses from HMF

strawchicago z5
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

HMF (Help me Find) has lots of useful features for rose-growers: When I had membership I used the advanced search to do more than one criteria: zone 5a, thornless, and fragrance. Without membership, it's still useful: when I see a garden that I like, I book-mark under "Favorite garden", by clicking "Add to favorite". I also book-mark favorite photos.

When you click on RESOURCES TAB, under Q & A forum on the left-most-pull-down menu, you can search for key word in HMF discussions. I search for "manure" found useful info. from international folks. Jay-Jay from the Netherlands advised folks NOT to put manure near roots, otherwise it burns. True, manure can burn with its salt-content, even when well-composted. Australian rose-growers recommend sulfate of potash to induce blooming. True, I give stingy roses sulfate of potash before to make them bloom.

One Australian rose-grower reported that horse manure helps with black spots. True, I have the same experience with 3 years of clean-roses, mulched with horse manure, IF THERE'S NO OTHER salty FERTILIZER used. Here's a comment from HMF: 27 DEC 11 by Karl Rand

"Well Simon, your comments on fertilisers are interesting. For the previous seven years I've used nothing but aged horse manure, dolomite occasionally when necessary and I've sprayed for blackspot. I can't say I think the blackspot sprays had any beneficial effect. This year, which inflicted a very wet winter and spring on us in this part of Tasmania (Exton), I used both aged manure and Nutrog's 'Go-Go Juice' and have far less blackspot than previous years ... Cheers Karl"

**** From StrawChicago: I posted lots of pics. in HMF. One of the pic. I posted was Summer Samba rose. It's a floribunda but the bloom is big & many petals. It died through the winter. Will I get that again? Probably not, since the scent is medium-fruity, can't compete with Austin roses.

Comments (13)