SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20575877

Birds keep eating my Stepmom's tomatoes. Help?

User
8 years ago

My stepmom planted some tomato plants in the back yard and they've been growing really well, but the minute one starts to turn red, something takes a big chunk out of the side! I've included a picture for reference of the damage, in case it's not a bird. But it seems like it'd be a bird.

They're in a gardenbox and we're not really sure how to install a bird net over them, as the net would lay on top of some of the tomatoes so the birds could still peck through the net. We tried hanging CDs from the trellis, which hasn't deterred them at all. Christmas balls are too light and fall off. I had read that sometimes birds go for the tomatoes if they're thirsty, but we have a small pond near the patio with the garden so I'm not sure that's the problem? Would something like a bird bath help or would that just make it worse?

Any suggestions or advice would be great! I love birds and love seeing them around the house but I feel badly that they're devouring my stepmom's tomatoes, especially since she was so excited about them.

Comments (19)