SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdouglas_usn

Bermuda Grass care (Celebration Bermuda) Advice

John Douglas
8 years ago

In April, I had new sod installed. It is Celebration Bermuda Grass. This is a newly constructed home, so the ground was driven on with heavy machinery for a bit. I'm sure that leads to compaction issues. We have clay type compact soil, which leads to further compaction issues. Water runoff happens a lot.

I also understand the grass is only 4 months old.

Things I have done:

Mow every 3-4 days with a reel mower at 1.5-2 inches. If I mow any lower, I get a crazy looking scalped mess because the ground is uneven, and perhaps I let the grass get too high to begin with. (I was surprised and annoyed to learn that the guy did not till and grade the ground. He just smoothed it, I was at work for much of this stuff.)

Fertilized once a month, I read that Bermuda is a nitrogen hog.

The first time I fertilized, I used Scott's Liquid Turf Builder for new grass (7-12-15) (this worked fantastically)

I was advice by a guy at work to use granular 15-15-15...I did and it didn't do a damn thing.

The next two times with Scott's Liquid turf builder (29-0-3) (second time did good, the third didn't do squat, or so it seemed) Perhaps I should go back to the new grass stuff, since it is new grass, and might not be ready to absorb a lot of nitrogen?

Watering: Every Wednesday and Sunday (4 am and 5pm 25 minutes each station)

It is still very hot here, today's high is 106, so I know it's not time for dormancy, yet. I live the Fresno California area.

The upper picture is in June 17 after two weeks for using the new grass fertilizer(7-12-15). You can see slight yellow, which is still one of my problem areas.

This is today August 17, three weeks after my second application of Scott's Turf Builder (29-0-3). By the trees and other vegetation is still very thick and green. I'm assuming because water is penetrating the soil much deeper than the middle of the lawn, making the roots nice and happy.

Camera filtering played a part making everything look greener in the third picture. The spots by the sandbox in the third picture looks just like the dry looking spots in the 2nd and 4th picture.

I'm thinking I will have to aerate next season. That is only think I can think of. Unless anyone here has further advise.

Thanks in advance.

John D.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider