SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Drylok as cheap insurance for basement waterproofing?

njbuilding143
8 years ago

So we decided that we are going to finish the basement during house construction.. We put in a new permit which was approved and looking to get started.. I was talking with the builder about putting up Drylok to act as a cheap waterproof insurance but he told me that I do not have any kind of water problem at all.. When the foundation was being done we had them use a rubber wall product to waterproof the exterior walls.. We also had 1 inch of foam board installed.. I have gone to the house during some rain storms and for the most part the basement is dry.. During the last rain storm which passed through we had some heavy downfall during times.. I went over a little after the storm had passed and saw that there are spots here and there that you can see water is seeping through.. Nothing where it is running down the wall or anything.. Just making the block damp.. I am including some photographs of the "wet spots".. Also I should note that there are currently no gutters or downspouts and the property is not graded yet.. Just curious if using drylok is worth it to have as a cheap insurance policy against any water that would possibly make it through the rubber wall in the future.. I am calculating that if I do the drylok myself it will cost about $700 but budgeting $1000 in case I need extra material.. Basement is roughly 1440 square feet.. This cost includes the drylok, brushes, etc to do the whole job.. Should cover at least 2 coats.. just not sure if I should save this money and take the builders word that the property has no water problem and not be kicking myself down the road if something happens..

Comments (14)