SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhorn4sur

Second Flush On Raspberries

Greenhorn2
8 years ago

Hi....i've got both Summer and Everbearing Raspberries and this year most of my plants are mature, having pruned away almost all the spent Floricanes on both Summer and Everbearing i left some lower portions on the Floricanes to see what would happen and i'm getting berries growing on Taylors right now and the Crimson Giants which grew horizontal last year b4 growing up didn't fruit on bottom so i left some Floricanes pruned down and i'm getting some berries starting to grow in little clusters, while the Primocanes are growing up but no berries yet....i've heard the term Second Flush b4 and i believe that's what's happening here.....had i pruned all Floricanes down to the dirt i wouldn't have seen this.

For the most part the Spring Crop has come and gone about 2 weeks ago, and like most growing Fall Bearing types of raspberries i'm just starting to get some berries now here and there on the Primocanes but the Second Flush of berries on the Floricanes is quite interesting on the Spring Crop as i've read about some Fall Cropping Varieties producing a Second Flush of berries after pruning.

Anybody have any experience with this, not to be hasty but making room for the Primocanes that are growing is important for air circulation etc is necessary but i guess the plant really knows when it's done.

Pictures here of Taylor and Crimson Giant Raspberry

Taylor

Crimson Giants

Berries just started forming on the tips of these clusters here, very strange but important discovery .

Any feedback n' comments welcome

Comment