SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

The "White seeded Cherokee Trail of Tears"

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I was gifted a few seeds of this White Seeded Cherokee Trail Of Tears from a member of the Gardeners Chat-Shed in the U.K. so I'm growing them for seed this year, haven't tasted them yet but maybe I can still sneak a couple, the blk. seeded CTofT is a favorite of ours. The information given to my source about them and then sent onto me....

" "Mr. Yeomans's White Seeded Cherokee Trail of Tears"
John Yeoman (author of books such as 'Self Reliance: A Recipe for the New Millennium' and 'Gardening Secrets That Time Forgot") had a seed conservancy called "Village Guild' which unfortunately doesn't exist anymore. The rare seeds he safe guarded and shared amongst Guild members, are however now in the HSL collection and offered in the HSL catalogue. One of the beans in John's garden was the heavy bearing 'Cherokee Trail of Tears' bean. About 15 years ago, one of the pods on one of his plants produced white seeds. Growing these seeds on proved that a mutation had taken place, not a cross. The beans are identical to the normal Trail of Tears, except for the colour: cream white flowers, white seeds and the green pods take longer to develop the deep purple hue when they are mature.
This strain produces only white seeds every year and all generations of this strain grown since I had the seeds have been stable. Same superb flavour, strong string and pod shape as the ordinary Trail of Tears beans. The beans can be used for pods or for shelling and drying. Pods develop later in summer when early beans are past their first flush. I love harvesting them when they are very young and small (no strings then) and serve them cooked whole with a dab of butter."

I picked a couple of pods at the shelly stage, curiosity got the better of me, the pods at this stage are a cream color flushed with pink.

I couldn't find any information on this bean other than above so thought I would start a thread on them in case they might be of interest :).

Annette

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville