SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiesmithereens

desert rose had a really rough year

katiesmithereens
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Alright ya'll, I hope you can help.

I bought a desert rose about 2 years ago and initially, she did great. Grew about double the size, tons of flowers. Full sun, regular watering. I don't remember fertilizing very regularly. In a "smart pot" made of felt, excellent drainge.

Then I moved to a new apartment in October of 2014. I get about half as much sun on my new patio. If that. Maybe two hours in the morning, and maybe an hour when the sun sets (and I only get that evening sun now, in summer.)

Well, first she had scale and her leaves were yellowing (spots at first, then the whole thing, then the tip gets dry and crunchy) so I thought maybe fungus although otherwise, she was doing great and about to flower for the first time this year. So on the advice of a co-worker I bought bon-neem (neem with added pyrethrin and piperonyl butoxide), misread the directions, over sprayed, she lost all her leaves. Then they came back, she looked great, and then the leaf hoppers came. Sprayed again, correctly this time. Leaf hopper issue is gone. She started to put on a bunch of healthy new growth but older leaves kept yellowing the same way they did before. I watered her today for the first time in, I don't know, a month and the water drained rapidly so obviously, she needed it. But I discovered ants. Only 3 I can see. Not fire ants. On the back of the leaves, beginning at the tip and moving down, there are tiny brown spots, pinhole sized. Then the yellow comes in spots in the same way. And after watering this morning, 3 more leaves became completely yellow, including a younger leaf. I can't see any other bugs.

So, obviously I have made some mistakes and stressed the poor thing. Is that all this is, the plant coming off of stress? Should I get a systemic in there? I did not opt for systemic initially because she was already over watered and that's why I thought fungus was going on. She keeps pushing that new growth but it just doesn't last. I love this plant so much and really hope someone can help!

photos in the comments, for some reason that is the only way they would upload. as you can see she's not too small for her pot but sooo sparse

Comments (7)