SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finiteyoda

Prevent glass shower door from banging when shut?

Jason D
8 years ago

I'm moving into a new home, and I've noticed what seems an issue to me with the way the master bathroom shower door is installed, but the construction company is assuring me is normal, so wanted to get advice.

We have a neo-angle frameless glass door, and when the door closes, the glass door touches the fixed glass panel, and makes a loud banging noise (like what you'd expect if you knocked two large sheets of glass together). The glass installer came back out, did some adjustment, and says its adjusted perfectly now, although it still bangs. The construction company took a look, and said if the gap was any bigger, water would leak out too easily.

There is a thin silicone strip on the edge of the door (hard to see in the pic), but so thin it doesn't provide a full contact surface along the entire length of the door. I suggested putting a bigger jamb or bulb seal along the door, so the glass pieces wouldn't contact directly, but again, construction company is saying that would create too big a gap (they want the glass panels to fit together very tightly).

Am I crazy to think that just putting a larger jamb or seal would fix the problem? I'm concerned with the glass pieces hitting directly, over time it's a high risk of chipping or even shattering. Also, the door only swings to the outside, it does not swing both ways (not sure if it's hitting the glass that prevents it from swinging inwards, or the hinges have a stop).

Comments (4)