SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northernshore

What to do with floor of enclosed porch?

northernshore
8 years ago

Looking for some advice! Our 1895 house has a fully enclosed front porch - windows, baseboard heat, the works. The previous owners (or perhaps the ones before) put down a multicolor (but primarily blue) high traffic carpet. I would like to take up the carpeting - it's long seen better days, and tends to retain moisture. I don't know what's underneath the carpet yet, but the porch itself is over a crawlspace.

I can't figure out, however, what should take the place of the carpet. We're using the room as a playroom, so ideally I'd like to have something comfy for the kids. But would it be best to just replace the carpet with more carpet (one a little more muted in color and more "porch like" like gray), or see what lies beneath the carpet and, if possible, put down flooring and perhaps an area rug? And if flooring, what kind? I don't really want it to look like another room in the house but would like to create a porch-y feel as much as possible. I feel really stuck with this. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)