SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21882779

Its HOT! August in Oklahoma

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I decided I have just about got the hot dry gardening battle licked. I haven't watered yet, except for those new lil' bluestem plants I set out the other day on the dry hell hill out back. It hit 101 today and its so hot and dry I gotta blow my horn just a little because I've been fighting an uphill battle with this climate for decades now. It doesn't look like everything's about to croak out there, a lot is actually blooming and most plants are looking quite well so I'm just a bit pleased.

I let the volunteers pretty much 'prairie' themselves around at will this year to see if I like it, I think I do but I still need more grasses, especially Little Bluestem, at least that's my opinion because I have such a crush on it.

I keep the paths, which you can't see, clear even though I do allow plants to come up in the sidewalk cracks because it seems to just fit in to the overall natural/native deal.

Flame Acanthus in front, lantana behind various native grasses and forbs, Desert Willow which has bloomed like mad lately.

Little bluestem starting to show itself. Sideoats grama to the left. Pink blooming flame flowers, but then those weeds are everywhere now.

A volunteer annual gaillardia.

Planted a store-bought yellow blooming Salvia microphylla by that cactus to the left in the corner of the area but you can't hardly see it. I've had to take the jug out every other day to get it established. I like it, its got teeny tiny leaves.

More bluestem and a Pine Muhly grass in front of Texas Sage (aka Texas Ranger) but the poor thing hasn't bloomed hardly at all, no rain. Once the weatherman predicted rain but Texas Ranger Shrub knew better and didn't forecast it. I trust it more than weatherman.

Too dense? The spouse thinks so. There IS a clear path to the left so its not all plants. That silver beauty down by the cholla cactus is a Spanish Lavender. Its almost white and actually seems happy here in Oklahoma. Maybe I found a lavender that doesn't hate us.

Yawn, looks like what I posted last year. Cactus pears are starting to turn red.

Yea, its just too dang hot to peddle it uphill.....

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living