SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yelena_boiko

Lipstick Plant Resuscitation - Help!

Yelena Boiko
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, I'm a gardening newbie and started panicking a few months ago when my beautiful bushy lipstick plant started losing leaves.

The branches dried out at the base and i ended up cutting a lot of them to start rooting cuttings in water. So it looks half-dead now. I water it weekly, mist it, feed it, but I believe there is some problem with the roots as it got worse and worse, leaves falling off by the handful every day.

I want to save as much of the plant as possible.

1. Is it possible to plant long cuttings? For example 1-2 feet long? All I have read indicates to 4-6 inches in length. It's killing me to discard the long healthy branches.

2. When repotting I want to discard half the plant (that is practically dead except for the very tips that still blossom that I will try to root (!!)) Do I just cut into the rootball?

3. Should I cut off some root anyway, like some other plants? Does it help? Or be extra-careful on the contrary?

4. Can I plant cuttings directly in potting soil without rooting them in water first? And is there a maximum of cuttings recommended per pot?

Thank you lots. Every time I see what became of my plant I want to cry...

Y

Comment (1)