SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cal_cpa2

Need advice - getting bleach out of wooden pantry shelves

Blueskies 579
8 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so hope I am posting this question in the appropriate spot:)

I moved into a new house and the family I bought the house from had the house professionally cleaned. The walk-in pantry smelled horribly of bleach. I asked the owners if the cleaning company had used bleach in there and why, but they told me that they had no idea and couldn't imagine why bleach would have been used.

At the time (about 6 months ago) I just closed the pantry door, didn't use the pantry, and have basically been using some kitchen cabinets for pantry storage. (obviously, not a great idea to delay dealing with this, but that is what happened, due to some major life stresses).

Recently, I decided to air out the pantry and washed down the shelves and floor with water. The bleach smell is now gone.

My concern is that since I avoided dealing with this issue for so long, that the bleach might have soaked into the wood shelves or walls or whatever it was put on, and now might not be safe to store food in there, especially if bleach had been sitting on the shelves all this time.

Any advice on what I can do, at this point? Thanks!

Comments (2)