SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee

Kousa Dogwood got damaged - how to prune to shape it now?

Ellessebee
8 years ago

I have a young kousa dogwood that I've been growing from seed. A neighbor's tree company damaged it while taking down a tree on their property and the top of the main leader of the kousa was broken - about 3 feet. I pruned off the branch that had snapped back to the main trunk. There is another branch coming out of that node that forks. You can see it on the left in the first photo. The branch that broke used to come out of the same node in the center. I thought maybe the remaining branch would assume the top position but the tree is really lopsided now and is pushing new growth along other branches and I am afraid it will acquire an unattractive bushy

shape. The bottom picture shows how all the tall growth is no on only one side. Should I prune it more? Remove the new shoots lower down? Remove the remaining 2 top branches - then I'll have a little bush (not what I wanted)? And, as an aside, what would you expect the neighbors or their tree company to do about it? Do you think compensation is in order? And how do you compensate for a small tree you've been nurturing from seed? Thanks

Comments (2)