SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brendanjacoby

How much leaves can I pick from curcurbit plants (pumpkin, squash)?

brendanjacoby
8 years ago

So I like to eat as much of my garden as I can... I eat the leaves off of any plant in which is edible and healthy... curcurbit greens, from my research, are very healthy, and they taste good as I've already ate a bunch of leaves from an over-grown squash plant. However, I have a pumpkin plant that is just isolated from everything else, it has all the room in the world to grow. But I would like to pick off some of the nice, huge leaves to eat. This is my first year growing an entire garden and I've learned a bunch, but I'm still unsure about a lot of things. I know that plants need leaves to grow there fruit, as leaves and sunlight create photosynthesis which is how plant sugars are generated. So my first question is;

(1) About what percentage of pumpkin plant leaves can I pick off while the fruit is still growing to maintain a productive harvest?

(2) Also, are there leaves in certain positions I shouldn't pick off? For example, some leaves are very close to a young, early-stage pumpkin, and I'm wondering if that leaf in particular is helping that specific fruit grow, or it just doesn't matter where the leaves are because it all ends up distributing randomly.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations