SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_26630491

Repairing built in wall-shelves

User
8 years ago

Hi Folks,

The place that I moved into last year has built in wall shelves but I found out that the shelf boards are not supported well. The individual shelves are fairly thick and heavy and supported by adjustable brass shelf-support brackets. Holes have been drilled into the side of the shelf walls to insert the support brackets but what happens is that as items are placed on the shelves, the weight of the shelf and items causes the brackets and shelf board to sag over time. Recently, a few of the boards fell because of this. I'm hoping to clean this up so it can be presentable again and ideally, make it sturdier than what it was.

When the shelf boards fell, it scraped and exposed the wood underneath. What would be a good way to fix this? Should I try to sand the entire shelf wall area to remove the old layers of paint, patch up the holes with wood putty, re-sand the patched up areas, put primer, paint, and drill holes for the brackets again? I'm not too thrilled with the idea of these heavy shelves being supported by lightweight brackets - perhaps I might need to replace them with lighter boards. Any thoughts on ways to make sure that the shelves would be less likely to fall again? Certainly, making sure to not place heavy items is one simple option...

I'm new to this home improvement stuff so perhaps my thinking is a bit too simplistic/naive, so really, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (22)