SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Observations on aloe polyphylla and summer heat stress.

rredbbeard
8 years ago

As many of you know, I have several ap's, ranging in size from 3"/6 leaves to 17"/95 leaves. I'm no expert, but I do know that these plants suffer if the temperature in their pots gets to 85°F or more.

With the peak of summer heat here in southern New England, this has become more of a concern than even last year. Most of my larger ap's are in a southern exposure, and I try to keep the medium moist, and the pots shaded. As I watered them today, I noticed that many of the leaves, which are normally plump and turgid, were either slightly soft, or even flattened due to all this heat, in spite of regular watering. The smaller the plant, the worse the stress. The largest in a 22" plastic half barrel seemed pretty good. Another sign of stress is if the leaves, which are normally in an open rosette, start to look like they're closing the rosette a little. If yours shows any of these signs, take action!

I took all the stressed aloes and put them in shade under the porch where there's a good breeze and no direct sun, where they'll stay for the next 2 weeks, or until the leaves recover. If you're growing this species, it might be a good idea to check on them--just remember: moist and cool.

There's someone on line selling ap's, who's giving bad advice to buyers by stressing: "seriously INFREQUENT water, and lots of direct sun". There'll be a lot of dead ap's out there if that advice is followed.

Here's an excellent explanation of ap physiology and general care by Alan Beverly: (you may have to copy/paste this into your browser.)

content://com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/readinglist/0722022514.mhtml

Rick in CT

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions