I feel like I can't breath, and always need to yawn.

Suzanne Findley

Lately, I have been feeling like I can't catch my breath even when I'm just sitting. It feels as if I need to yawn, start to, but don't get a complete yawn to satisfy me. I can't explain it any better then that, but it's miserable and i just feel like I can't breath. I have the tightness in my chest too. I'm about to turn 50, and have low blood pressure, and low cholesterol. Any ideas?

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

I have the same. Try a decongestant. I use Aller-something or other from Costco.

Save     Thanked by Suzanne Findley
angelazuill

I have to disagree. I feel like a complaint of shortness of breath definitely deserves a visit to your health care provider and probably warrants a chest X-ray be done, at minimum. Particularly when accompanied by chest tightness. I guess 15 years as a nurse definitely gives you the better-safe-than-sorry attitude.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzanne Findley
sushipup1

You are absolutely correct. After assorted tests, it was determined that my condition (exactly as described) was caused by post-nasal drip and allergies. Since it is so intermittent, the occasional allerclear/Claritin helps.

(PS, maybe decongestant is not correct, but allergy pill is what I meant.)

Save     Thanked by Suzanne Findley
ianna

you need to see a doctor asap. If you have heart problems - that needs to be determined now. I recall my father being winded constantly. He was diagnosed with atrial fibrilation. he too had low blood pressure.

1 Like Save    
Cookie8

I have the same thing and have had it for 12 years now. It was first diagnosed as costochondritis. I have a lot of food sensitivities and find it gets set off within 1/2 hour of eating. I haven't fully figured out which foods cause it yet, but it is always 1/2 hour after eating. In fact, I am experiencing it right now. I have arthritis and inflammatory conditions and had an EKG when it first started and my heart seems fine. It wouldn't hurt to look into it just to be sure though. I find it helps to hold my breath for a second and push my chest out to stretch the ribs out - this usually helps, at least, get a full yawn out.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides These Rustic Accents Can Really Make Your House Feel Like Home
Add warmth and personality with woven baskets, wood ladders, quilts and more
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full Story