SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeitgast

Greenfield puppies?

8 years ago

Hi All

So we finally decided to get a new dog. I won't bore you with how we arrived at our decision but we settled on a mini goldendoodle (mini poodle/golden retriever mix) as a best fit for our family (including a special needs kid).

Made the mistake of telling the kids before finding out that these dogs are really expensive and there are long waiting lists at our nearby reputable dealers. The kids are devastated about the prospect of waiting so we did some online searching for rescue dogs-- nothing promising yet. What did come up was immediately available dogs from Greenfield Puppies in PA. Kinda looks like a puppy mill to me but can't be sure.

Anybody know the scoop?

Thx in advance, Z

Comments (20)

• 8 years ago

Salti--don't be so hard on the OP. Obviously s/he was suspicious of Greenfield and somehow didn't quite "get" that it's not a breeder. S/he's looking for help here.

"When one door closes, another opens." Seriously, Zeitgast, there are such wonderful dogs available at local shelters. I do appreciate the research you did to choose a breed, but how 'bout this: take the kiddos in hand and tell them that "we are going to save a dog's life! Let's go!"

• 8 years ago

I realize that you were looking for a smaller dog, but you might want to think about a purebred golden retriever, since goldens tend to be easy going around children. The females do tend to be a bit smaller than the males.

• 8 years ago

As a Golden breeder, I agree with spedigrees, but even tho males might be larger, they are far more cuddly, as a rule, and are true velcro dogs. My females are a lot more independent and with minds of their own. The boys are far more compliant, IMO.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh, and PA is one of the states overrun with puppy mills. Most reputable breeders don't breed enough to have a website selling puppies. One litter a year maybe, and puppies are reserved before they are even born.

Try to locate a dog show near you and go and watch and observe breeds and talk to people.

And mixed breeds are NOT true bred and characteristics are no bred true. For people to call these a "breed" and then take naive people for obscene sums is really dishonest.

Here's how to locate shows: http://infodog.com/showinfo/showCal.htm

• 8 years ago

I certainly did look at the site, which is why I knew it was not a breeder.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Quit bickering you guys! It's so annoying. I'm sure the OP appreciates any information that might be helpful. I just think It's wonderful that the OP has done the research, chosen a breed and is trying to be a responsible purchaser. Thanks for that OP!!

That's a popular type of dog for a lot of reasons, and having to go on a waiting list is just proof that it may be worth waiting for, at the same time there are lot of dog breeds out there with similar traits, so keeping your options open may not be a bad idea either. Originally I had my heart set on getting another Golden Retriever but oddly ended up with a Golden Lab instead. I had never really thought twice about the breed until we got our girl but she's absolute perfection and I'm so glad we decided to go check out the litter.

Only you will know if a dog broker is the right option for you. I would do more research and weigh the pro's and con's. But before you do, there is a Doodle rescue that is nationwide; you may want to check out their webpage here Doodle Rescue. It could be helpful in several ways, not only to help you find the right dog but there is also a lot of helpful info about the breed itself.

• 8 years ago

You may consider contacting rescue groups-often they are able to tell you about the characteristics of the dogs that they foster to help you decide if it's a good fit for your family. Local pet stores and parks sponsor adoption events and are on hand to give information and the opportunity to interact. If the placement doesn't work out, there's usually a return policy in place.

• 8 years ago

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. We really don't/won't support the puppy mills so thank you for confirming our suspicions. We have only ever rescued shelter dogs before so we are absolutely open to that again. The attraction to the hybrid dog is really all about size, shedding and temperament-- I suppose those things can be assessed at a shelter too.

• 8 years ago

Hi zeitgast, if shedding is the biggest issue, then any long haired smaller breed will do the job. I owned a yellow lab once and the shedding was crazy, but apart from her, I've always owned long haired breeds and there was never a shedding issue. The tradeoff is that long haired breeds will need more brushing/grooming and clipping (especially in hot areas). I definitely think if you look around you will find many other smaller breeds without shedding issues and great temperaments that will suit your needs.

• 8 years ago

I love both breeds of the hybrid you're considering, but the poodle mixes I've seen in person have always been very hyper dogs and the owners admitted they required patience and training. They're biggest complaint was the dogs stayed in 'puppyhood' for years! : ) Maybe it's been mentioned but 'dealers' will always be more expensive than the breeder. If you want a puppy, work only with someone that will let you see the mother and the litter. Red flag anyone that wants to meet you somewhere with the puppies.

Like others, I'd suggest visiting shelters and rescue groups. And please take the kids with you. Don't hesitate to adopt an older dog, especially with a special-needs child......you'll know the minute the kids and the right dog make a connection.

• 8 years ago

Yes, I think the golden-doodle craze is comparable to the Dalmatian craze a few years back. They were so cute and sweet looking everyone wanted one, then once they got older and weren't puppies anymore, they discovered Dalmatians require a lot of time and energy. That doesn't mean a golden-doodle wouldn't be a good fit for you though. A great way to keep a more active breed calm, happy and socialized is to take it to the dog park or a doggy day care a couple times a week. An active dog that is properly exercised will be a happy dog that doesn't destroy one's house! :c)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Greenfield is not a puppy mill, but they are part of the puppy mill system. They are a broker. You need to do 30 minutes of research on buying a puppy so you know what to look for. Not a particular breed, not one that has available puppies. How to evaluate a reputable source. You are starting on the wrong foot - finding a picture and then figuring out how to pay and logistics - that is not a recipe for success. A good breeder would NEVER sell through a broker. It isn't a case of there are not good breeders and you can only use shelters and rescues. A good portion of dogs there came from puppy mills! A good breeder will want the dog back if you ever decide to give it up.

There is a reason that "reputable breeders" (your words) have a waiting list, and Greenfield has as many puppies as needed for people to buy. Think about that. You should be able to answer the question for yourself.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Well said. Puppy Mills don;t want to sell one puppy to an individual, they want to sell a litter to a broker and be done with it.

These people enable Puppy Mills and a buyer using a broker is just supporting the continuation of this cruel endeavor.

Oops, this thread is a few years old.

The broker is sadly still thriving these years later.

• 6 years ago

^^ What a cutie!

• 6 years ago

What a awesome decision, rescues are the best, your fur baby is beautiful

• 6 years ago

oh, the sweetness!!! rescue dogs rock!

• 6 years ago

Such a great way to create a family! Belated congratulations!

• 2 years ago

How is Greenfield a broker? Doesnt a broker buy dogs and resell? Greenfield is an ADVERTISING agency. Photographers go out and take pics of puppies, post them online, and buyers directly contact the BREEDER not Greenfield. it is the buyer’s responsibility to check out the puppies. If the breeder is not complying with Greenfield’s rules they need to be reported to Greenfield.

• 2 years ago

I personally know of 2 people that had really good experiences through Greenfield......one of them I went with when they picked up the pup.......now almost 5 years old. In these two cases they were certainly not puppy mills.

The person I saw had three friendly adult dogs at a single home on a good size property. The puppies were in an attached garage. The mother dog and the other adults were free to come and go from the garage through an access door the pups couldn't get to. I believe there was some invisible fence system outside as the adults would not go to the street. They looked well cared for. The puppies were fat and healthy and friendly. The now 8-week old puppies had full access to the double garage. A smaller heated room off to the side was where the mother originally gave birth and the pups spent their earliest days. There was straw on the floor and a few firm poops but the area was clean and spacious. The pups were well socialized with the owner and the four kids we saw. It looked like an ideal setup for a puppy to begin its life. The owner had veterinary records of the pups. The person I was with ended up with a healthy, well-socialized pup. The other person I know had a similar experience

The different people that advertise through there may of course, vary. Actual puppy mills will hopefully not be included. Also note that if you are looking for a particular purebred dog that this is different from a purebred breeder who breeds to show standard, shows their dogs, has all their breeding dogs health tested, and knows his dogs (health and behavior) for several generations. With that in mind it very possible to get a healthy, well socialized pup through them.