SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckyjoe_gw

Looking for feedback on remodeling

LuckyJoe
8 years ago

Greetings,

I am in the process of locating a contractor to clean up a mess left by a previous contractor from remodeling my kitchen. One recent contact provided a proposal that I thought was workable from a cost standpoint, but there are a couple of points I'm not sure about. First, is it common for contractors to expect you to provide materials? I'd think this might be a potential problem if you're not familiar with materials and their proper application. Second, the proposal is requiring that I pay weekly after an initial down-payment. Is this common, or something I should avoid? Most contracts I've seen (not that many) specify a percentage down, a percentage halfway through, and the final payment upon acceptance. I should note that the current market in my area (midwest) is very active, and there is a lot of work available. The downside to this is that it makes it easy for contractors to pick and choose the work they do, but also makes it easy for them to walk away from projects that either aren't complete, or skimp on quality/workmanship. I have no reason to believe that this contact would do this, but there is something to be said for having some tangible incentive to do good work and get it done within a reasonable period of time.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Comments (6)