SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jahzara0o

Gladioli with yellow spots and flower blooms shriveling AGAIN!

jahzara0o
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello!

I posted about a similar issue last year! For reference post, see here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2096204/gladiolus-flower-shriveled-before-full-bloom

I fixed some previous mistakes of last year.

I started with fresh corms and they are in a deep gigantic pot! They were planted far down in the soil. I placed them on the front porch this year as opposed to the back porch last year, as the back gets direct afternoon sun. I didn't want them to dry out, which I felt was a problem. They were in full sun, with no shade. Most of the shoots were just fine, but some of the shoots turned to straw-like appearance fairly quickly. I decided to put down a layer of mulch to keep moisture in, thinking that was the culprit of some of the shoots drying out so quickly (it's been unusually hot this summer with hardly any overcast or rain to compensate). I noticed some yellowing spots, smaller than the size of a fingertip, starting on the leaves. I moved them into a partial sun spot, so they had some shade. They still continued to deteriorate... so I moved them into full shade.

Same exact thing happened as last year... the flowers have finally come in only to shrivel and die before blooming... :'( I waited so long for nothing!

They have adequate water, mulch to keep the moisture in, planted deep. This is not thrips - there are no bugs! Someone suggested a virus? My tulips suffered similar yellow spotting, perhaps the two are connected? (The tulips are planted in a completely different container, however.) The Glads have been planed with daffodil, same as they were last year. My daffodils do not have any issues at all, but perhaps they are making them sick somehow? I'm just really upset to see such beautiful flowers wither and die just like before. And mad that they taunted me for so long and I don't get to enjoy their beauty for yet again another year.

Please help!

Comments (9)