SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yepicandothat

Like it? Bathrm w/LED backlight, large tile, metal trim, shower niche

yepicandothat
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, Do you like this bathroom remodel? What are your comments/feedback/suggestions for my next one?

Remodel w/LED backlight, large format tile, metal trim, shower niche · More Info
^ For this LED backlit mirror, I bought an empty picture frame from a local framing shop (more info under the next photo). I also installed LEDs under the lip of the countertop. Not only does the LED lighting add pizzazz, the under-counter lighting illuminates the inside of the drawers when open. Granite countertop on an espresso vanity. Double towel bar over the throne.

Remodel w/LED backlight, large format tile, metal trim, shower niche · More Info
^ The mirror frame is gold over maroon patina. Behind the visible, outer frame is a hidden second frame around which the LED strip is run, providing a backlit halo effect. The wiring is hidden behind the frame, which is mounted on a French cleat. All LEDs and fixtures (over mirror and over the shower/tub) are dimmable, which makes a wonderful ambiance for a relaxing shower or bath!

^ Large format tile (laser leveled and plumbed) with glass and stone tile inlay. The sides of the shower and the niche are finished with metal trim. Hotel-style, chrome shower rod is heavier-duty and installation does not require drilling holes in the tile which is convenient if you later want to change it for something else and don't want to have nasty holes in your tile wall. Notice anything unusual on the wall with the shower (diverter) handle?

^ Complementary, large format tile on the floor. The base trim (along the walls) is tile cut from from the same tile used on the floor and finished with the same metal trim as in the shower. Window coverings were added later.

Not pictured: As part of this project, I replaced the water lines with PEX, added a humidity- and motion-sensing exhaust fan, added a recirculating hot water line, and insulated all four walls with rolled bats (making the bathroom quieter inside and the sounds are less noticeable outside the room, too).

(Sorry for the backslashes in the text; Houzz is automatically modifying my hyphenated words.)

Comments (5)