SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bb_bungalow

Kitchen layout feedback, please!

Bee Bensley
8 years ago

After 17 years living with what could be a candidate for worst kitchen ever, I'm finally starting a reno...Monday! I came up with the design & contractor made an official-ish one.

The house is a 1920-something bungalow - open the front door to see straight through living room and through double door (doors removed) archway into dining room. Kitchen right behind dining room through narrow doorway to the left.

The only counter space I have is to left and right of the biggest sink ever. Hardly any storage and the refrigerator is tucked into a corner and opens up facing the side of the stove. The stove which has no counters on either side.

The plan is to take down the wall between kitchen & dining room, go into the dining room a couple of feet and do a peninsula with drawers on either side of a slide in range, below an island hood. Leave the fridge where it is, but by taking down the wall I can open the door fully - miracle! Turn the back wall sink/countertop run into an L shape run w extra cabinets, countertops and built ins for microwave & toaster oven. Redo the pantry to have fancy pull out stuff. Have a built in beside the pantry with a mix of open shelving and closed storage.

I have - I hope - attached his sketches. And pictures I made with an interior design app. In my pictures - ignore cabinet configurations (drawers vs cupboards) - I just grabbed stuff to work out the counter space. The cabinets on the contractor's sketch are what have been proposed.

I'm keeping the original upper cabinets because they're pretty, and I'm barely 5' and not interested in having a lot of uppers. I live and cook in this house alone and could care less about resale, as I'm hoping to live here for at least 20 more years.

I'm pretty happy with the layout - but I'm eager to have fresh, experienced eyes see what I didn't think about or failed to consider.

Overview - wall currently goes from left beside the pantry to right beside the refrigerator.

contractor suggested taking that little built in cabinet for the microwave all the way up to align with window and door frames. Despite my short person prejudice against upper cabinets, I agreed.

I'm hoping this link works to show you the contractor plan - it has measurements. Contractor's plan

thank you very much for your time & ideas!

Comments (18)