SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tugagardener

arguta kiwi issai trellis construction

tugagardener
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello all, i purchased two issai kiwi plants and one male to plant in october, but i have some questions about the trellis.

I read in every place that the issai plant is way less vigorous than the other argutas so, what does that mean for the trellis? Do i make a smaller trellis, or a normal one but it simply will take longer to fill it?

my options for the trellis are:

- T trellis with 6ft tall, 10 to 16 ft between plants (10 or 16?) and 6 ft cross arm (3 ft for every side from the cordon)

- Train the plants to a VSP with the two main cordons at 1,6 ft and the canes tied in a vertical way up to 5ft long

(picture from other post...withtout conclusion)

i prefer the vsp position since i have four varieties of passion fruit and they take a lot of space on the trelis, does anyone have experience with argutas especialy issais in this system?!

other question and an important one, are argutas able to take full sun?!real full sun, not the far north sun. Temperature is not very high nor very low all year, but in the summer it's all day 79º in july and august with 90%plus humidity and the sun is just unbearable, at the point that my blueberries, passifloras mollissima and ligularis get completly toasted almost died and the passiflora edulis survive only 30% tosted...

Thank you for your help

Comment

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!