SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbehazinb

Fertilizing My Tomato Plants.

There are a lot of choices out there with different formulations and costs Here is What I am currently using:

!- Alaska MORBLOOM >> 32 fl oz @ << $5.00: Analysis 0-10-10 NPK

2- Miracle Grow All purpose liquid.>> 32 fl oz @ < $7.00

--- Analysis 12 -4 - 8 NPK:

BACKGROUND:

Early in the season I was just using the MG, thinking that it is all I need. Then I experienced slow/less flowering and fruit setting. That got me into thinking. Then, after doing some homework, I came to the understanding ( Not 100% sure) that I need something with lower Nitrogen and higher Potassium and phosphorus than what is in MG (12-4-8) proportionally.

Enter the Alaska MORMLOOM (0-10-10).

If it is used by itself (nothing else), it has ZERO nitrogen. But tomato plants need some Nitrogen too

HOME BREW:

I make a 50/50 mixture of the (1) and (2) above and the resulting mix has the following NPK ratio:

*** N = (0 + 12)/2 = 6%

*** P = ( 10 + 4)/2 = 7 %

*** K= ( 10 + 8 )/2 = 9%

That is a dramatic improvement over MG 12-4-8. It is a 50% reduction in N . This mixture has close to 2.0 - 2.3 - 3.0 NPK ratio . Note that it is the relative concentration of the NPK and not numerical quantities of them . While MG has 50% more N than K, in the mixture it is the opposite, ie. K is 50% more than N. That is what I wanted , to reverse the NK proportion.

ECONOMIC:

Combining MG (32 oz) and AMB (32 oz) makes 64 fl-oz of mixture. Using it at ONE Tbs per gallon (Full strength) it will make 128 gallons of watering solution. But I use it at half strength. So that will make 256 gallons. or under 10 cents for a 2 gallon watering can of solution. or about ONE buck per week at the rate I am using it:

Possibilities:

I can even further reduce N and increase P, K by mixing more Alaska MB. For example if I use 60/40 mixture I will get 4.8 - 7.6 -9.2 or close to 2 -3 - 4 ratio. Vs current 2 - 2.3 - 3.0 ratio.

I like the ease of application and its low cost.

I thought to share my method, just in case somebody wants to make use of it.

Sey

Comments (5)