SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
regina_jones296

Wood or white trim with wood windows and doors?

lawmama
8 years ago

We are installing all new windows, doors, flooring, and paint. Floor is dark hardwood. Baseboards are white. Already ordered my windows/exterior sliding glass doors with stain grade pine thinking I would like to have stained wood windows/doors. Additional interior doors are mostly glass French doors, but there will be a couple solid pocket doors as well.

My original intention was to stain all windows, doors, and trim (other than baseboards), but now I'm having second thoughts because I fear having all that stained wood in my house. My kitchen cupboards are white with a cobalt blue island. For reference, the picture attached illustrates the typical house style in my neighborhood (lots of interior and exterior stained wood - I like wood, but I'm trying to trike a balance). Do I...

1) Go with my original plan and stain all windows, sliding glass exterior doors, French interior doors, and stain the trim around these windows/doors? Baseboards are 5 1/2" so trim will probably be 3 - 3 1/2". Again, I'm worried this is a lot of wood - esp in the kitchen where the cabinets are painted white. Maybe it would work better if I matched the stain to the hardwood floor (which ishttp://www.johnsonhardwood.com/products/alehouse/copper-ale.html)?

1A) If yes to 1, do I get solid stained wood interior doors as well? Currently we have French doors specified in most major areas d/s except for laundry and bathroom. I'm worried having these be stained as well would be too much wood. However, the flipside would be having some wood doors/trim and some white doors/trim, which wouldn't match throughout the house, but maybe that's OK?

2) Just stain the windows/doors and go with white trim all around everything. This has the advantage of toning down some of the wood, plus it would flow nicely with the baseboard. See pics athttp://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2328937/pros-and-cons-of-painted-vs-stained-woodwork. The problem I have with this is that it's a very "two-tone" look that I'm not really sure I like.

3) Eat the cost of the "stain grade" wood and go ahead and paint it all white!

Thanks for any advice you all may have!!

Comment