SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

Anyone use a 36" drawer base as an island?

Terri_PacNW
8 years ago

I was thinking that's what I could do for an island. I don't need a large island it would be basically my rolling out table for baking. No need for electrical, mixer already has it's own designated counter.

I'm assuming that we'd build a 2x4 frame and bolt everything to the sub floor?

Comments (33)

• User
    8 years ago

Electrical is required for an island. A drawer base needs to be well fastened to the subfloor in order to not tip. You will also need to have a plan to finish the sides and rear as they will not match the cabinet front.

• Buehl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ditto what Live_Wire_Oak said. It's not just her opinion that you need an electrical outlet on the island, it's Code. It will not pass your city or county Inspection without the required outlet(s). Check with your electrician to find out what Code is in your municipality.

In addition...

• Will it be big enough? Remember, there will be no walls to stop things from falling off the sides.
    • Will it create a barrier b/w appliances and the work zones they go with (e.g., will it be a barrier b/w the refrigerator and the sink or b/w the refrigerator and range?)
    • Will there be sufficient aisles around the island? You should have at least 42" on each side...measuring counter edge-to-counter edge. Cabinets have 1.5" overhangs on exposed sides. (That means your island will be 39"W x 27"D.)

You need to think about the consequences of just throwing an island into your design...will it fit? Will it cause issues?

Post your design and we can answer the above questions for you.

• Related Discussions

Anyone have a Blum under sink drawer??? Sink base size?

Q

Comments (11)
    I've always described it as a build-to-suit. Blum drawers are Build-to-suit-youself drawers. If Blum itself is selling parts-only, is this a sufficient answer? In their Tandembox line (for example) here is what they sell you. They sell you the 2-part glides and you make you own chipboard drawer floor. They sell you the clips to connect any drawer front. They sell you the back corner piece to hold your back panel that you make out of chipboard. You add the melamine edge banding to the sides of your melamine panels. Whether I write "chipboard" or "melamine" it's all the same thing. (Some people don't know that "melamine" is the surface layer on top of chipboard panels. This needs to be expressed here and there so that they can figure it out.) This concludes the tutorial. Good luck in the future! -- methinks the OP will figure this one out, all by herself. she is motivated. methinks that most other gentle readers will not. this is because they have no need for this thingie at this time. -- methinks people type out their requests as if they want a product sold as a product. show me a picture. methinks people feel they can ask for more JUST because the giving party has been giving. wow. i don't do pictures. I've already explained this before, but I can post it in many new threads too. It has a lot to do with the types of effort that I choose not to expend. And there are other obstacles too. -- Today i hope you get everything you want to get done, done.
    ...See More

buehl, anyone w/dynasty drawer bases, cooktop install ?

Q

Comments (2)
    It is the new cabinet. the cooktop is 30 inches and it has a small depth underneath compared to what we have seen in the newer ones. Most of the new ones have large underneath bases, but maybe they are narrower? we will have to measure more. I know when we ordered the drawer base we asked over and over if a cooktop would go in and we were assured yes. Maybe the braces should have been installed lower. DH hooked it up for now w/o removing the braces by raising up the countertop (leftover old laminate one). We will certainly be checking with omega or the cabinet place but we need to figure this out before we order the new cooktop. thanks for always helping out buehl and Happy Thanksgiving! Babbie
    ...See More

Anyone used the Sharp MW drawer not in an island?

Q

Comments (7)
    As far as I know, Sharp is the only manufacturer. The Dacor MW drawer is a rebadged Sharp MW drawer...without the "Melt" & "Soften" features and with 950 watts instead of 1000 watts. I think Sharp makes all of Dacor's MWs. We had originally picked a built-in Dacor DMT2420 MW and it was also a rebadged Sharp MW. One thing to note is that the 24" wide & 30" wide drawers have the same internal dimensions. Here is a link that might be useful: KB-6025MS Microwave Drawer®
    ...See More

How big a pull on a 36" drawer base

Q

Comments (8)
    ^yeah that IKEA has some nice hardware, and not expensive. You can also search online for good deals on name brand stuff. A&H Turf had a fantastic (!!) price on my Jeffrey alexander HW... ended up about the same cost as what I would have paid at HD or Lowes, but with so many more sizes in the line to pick from. CabinetParts.com also had great prices on some really nice HW, and again you can choose from a lot of different sizes in each line. Tip - wherever you get your HW from, if its a metric measurement -- pick up Ikea's drilling template. $1.99 and so helpful!!
    ...See More
  • Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm not sure what would roll off?

I already knead dough in a small space beside my mixer. (KA does most of the work.) I occasionally roll out pie crust or cinnamon rolls. If I do up to a 40" width top on an island (or roughly the 36" drawer base) I get 42" on each side of it to other cab runs.

I am basically thinking of a work table without the "tableness" of it. I don't want open shelves.

I can move my "baking" top area to beside the sink. I have plans to have a 24" base plus dishwasher to the left of the sink. So 40+" there as well.

Just thinking of my options. I don't really want to replace my peninsula run when I replace the cabinets. I could put nothing there. Adding electrical isn't an issue.

So then any other suggestions as to a work surface that would go there?

• User
    8 years ago

I had an onion roll off of my counter tonight when I was trying to peel it for my quinoa and chicken salad. You may be younger and more dextrous, and not have that happen to you---yet. I've always been a klutz. At least I didn't stab myself with the knife trying to catch it. Picked that sucker up, rinsed it off, and quickly cut an end off so not to have a repeat.

Post your layout. You'll get better suggestions. But, adding a cabinet that isn't secured and then putting a heavy counter on it creates a high center of gravity. Think SUV's and rollovers.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    8 years ago

crl, that is what I'm talking about. Something of that nature. Thank you.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

OK - so what are talking about? Freestanding like CRL's island or fixed? You stated: "...bolt everything to the sub floor..." CRL does not need electricity b/c her island is freestanding, not bolted to the floor. You need electricity if you bolt it into the floor - it's Code, not an opinion someone is stating.

I suspect CRL's base had enough mass to bring the center of gravity down close to the floor. That's needed for a free-standing island. It also helped that she had a butcher block countertop, not marble, granite, or other stone. (Marble would be ideal for rolling out dough & kneading bread - but it's heavy!)

An installed/bolted down island, doesn't have that issue - the act of bolting it to the floor prevents the island from tipping.

Regarding things falling off...when you're rolling dough or have tools/dishes/utensils on the island, you will have to be careful you don't knock something onto the floor while you're working.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was asking if something of that nature had /should be bolted to the floor. So I was looking to see if anyone had done something like it. I stated in the beginning that it didn't need electricity because of what it was going to be used for.

I was planning a butcher block top.

I later clarified I wanted a "work table" but I didn't want the openness of shelving.

I was thinking that drawers would suit my needs better. That is why I asked it the way I did.

I understand the concern for space/width for use on the surface, but I work in a very limited space now so I don't over load it with things.

• User
    8 years ago

Drawer bases are tippy when you pull open a drawer. That's why it's gotta be attached to the floor. You don't want it falling over and hurting someone. The act of fastening it to the floor means that it is required to have electrical outlets on the island.

Terri_PacNW thanked User
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Yes, if attached to floor it must have an outlet.

OK, right now, I have three drawer stacks in my kitchen that aren't secured to the floor or the wall, just free-standing until we get some plumbing and electrical done and then we'll start securing them in their final locations. I have been using them for about eight months. The drawers are full and in regular use. All my everyday dishes, cutlery and glasses are in one. The other is a baking center. And the other has casseroles, serving bowls, a few appliances in the deeper bottom drawer (food processor, a small one and a large one, stick blender and such). I have NEVER had the drawer stacks tip over. The only time one of them threatened to do so is when I had my bottom drawer (full of glasses) open all the way and then pulled out the drawer with all the dishes in it. Then it did start to shift a bit. But when just one drawer is fully open, no problem. In the baking center I can have two drawers open because the items in them are lighter. I just don't understand the fear about drawer stacks tipping over so easily.

After all, my bedroom has dressers in them, which are full of drawers. Doesn't everyone? My husband's is tall, about 5-feet high. The dresser never tip over. Why would kitchen drawers act any different? Are the laws of physics different in a kitchen? (I love "My Cousin Vinny", lol).

I think if you buy a drawer stack and finish the back and sides, and don't attach it to the floor, it will be fine. Just only open one drawer at a time unless you've tested it and know for sure that you can open more than one drawer before it wants to tip. If a tipping risk is a real concern, put some lead weights in the bottom/back area underneath the decorative cover. That should do it.

If you're not going to secure it, consider having it on wheels so you have the option to move it around. You can put get locking wheels so it doesn't roll out on ya when you're using it.

Terri_PacNW thanked funkycamper
  • palimpsest
    8 years ago

I had a small island that was two 18" drawer bases fixed to the floor. It was only 30" high which served its purpose. If you don't want to fix it to the floor perhaps a cabinet base would be better. It had an outlet.

Or some Ikea storage systems come with a heavy weight that fixes to the base area to counterbalance the drawers. If you are building something, perhaps you could use a weight like this that could then be accessed for removal if you wanted to move the island.

funky, if you stored cast iron skillets in the top drawer of your husband's dresser instead of socks, you might be able to tip it.

Terri_PacNW thanked palimpsest
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

Actually, chests do tip - that's why you are supposed to install anti-tilt/tip devices to bedroom chests. In addition, the more weight/mass you put on the top, the more likely it is to tip over. No one that I know has a granite top on the top of their dressers or chests - it's the same light (relatively) wood on top as the rest of the chest/dresser.

If Terri goes with a portable island, then I suggest a lighter weight counter material such as laminate or butcher block - not granite or marble. (She's planned for butcher block, so that should work.)

Terri, in your first post, you stated, "I'm assuming that we'd build a 2x4 frame and bolt everything to the sub floor?". That's why the replies b/f you posted about a "work table" were talking about the need for electricity in the island. You did not say you were considering a freestanding island or work table initially. In fact, "I am basically thinking of a work table without the "tableness" of it." implies you don't want something freestanding like a table, not just the lack of open shelves (which is a good idea on your part since open shelves close to the floor collect dust, dirt, pet fur, etc.)

People are trying to help you by pointing out the pros/cons and things to think about as well as what you may or may not be able to do per Code. Decisions like these should not be made in a vacuum; you need to consider the overall impact on the surroundings as well.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Maybe I am goofy but not enough to store cast iron skillets in the top drawer of anything. Big, heavy stuff just naturally goes in lower drawers to me.

Terri is using a wood counter

I do think counterweights make sense. That is why I already mentioned them.

I have never heard of anti-tilt/tip devices for chests. Never heard of one tipping either. Interesting. If I am next to one in an earthquake, I might wish I had some.

Terri, a thought, if you have kids in the house, I really would do counterweights.

Terri_PacNW thanked funkycamper
  • weaver2
    8 years ago

Great point about the kids and the weights; the anti-tip devices for dressers are marketed to protect kids from having the dresser tip over on them if they climb on it (and, of course, during an earthquake as Funky suggested).

I used to have a baking island that had big lockable wheels on it. Pretty lightweight, really. Just the wheels, a piece of plywood, four legs, pine boards for the top and then a HUGE 1.5 inch thick slab of marble on top of it. I used my Kitchenaid mixer on it, and while it would vibrate a bit, even with all that weight on the top of it, and the vibration, it never even came close to tipping over. It was almost a perfect square, though, as opposed to a rectangle. And, both the width and depth were about 39" as opposed to the 36" height. So, pretty stable in that configuration.

I hope you find a solution that works safely for you.

Terri_PacNW thanked weaver2
  • Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    8 years ago

By the end of August the only child left in the house full time..is a lanky 6' plus 15 yr old boy. Who has never tried to sit on a surface he shouldn't at home.... :) so were okay there for now.

Buel, I put that there because in my mind that was what was supposed to happen to make it "sturdy". Even though I didn't really want such a permanent fixture.

I apparently haven't gleaned quite enough to word things correctly.

Thanks to all for sharing the "real" and idea bouncing.

• amg765
    8 years ago

It was just in the news last week that Ikea issued a warning about properly securing their furniture after two children were killed when malm dressers fell on them.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I do not remember how the base of ours was built, except I am pretty sure there was a sheet of plywood under the whole thing because it made dh nervous that there were two cabinets fastened together and he thought that gave more stability. For whatever it is worth, I stored small appliances in the cabinet part of my island and measuring cups and such in the top couple of drawers. We never had any tipping problems, but we were just amateur diyers and I'm sure it is wise to take all precautions.

(And oh, yeah, we have strapped tall furniture to walls because of small children and earthquakes.)

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

We live in earthquake country (PNW) and have never heard of strapping furniture to the walls. Seriously. And we have been through quite a few earthquakes. Most of our chimney ended up in the driveway during the last bi one. Ours wasn't the only one. Many people I know had popped out windows and sheetrock that cracked. But no hutches, bookcases or tall dressers have ever tipped over at my house and I never heard about it happening to anyone else here. Odd.

Please understand, I'm not saying strapping isn't a good idea. It is and I'm going to look into it for a couple of our taller items. I'm just surprised it's not talked more about here. I've even attended meetings about emergency preparedness for earthquakes and tsunamis and I don't recall it ever coming up.

• weaver2
    8 years ago

Hi Funky! We live in PNW, too (North of Seattle) and strapping tall furniture just hit my radar last winter. In fact, my big winter project was emergency preparedness. I put together kits for each of our cars, made up an evacuation kit that I am storing in the laundry room, created a list of pet-friendly evacuation locations, etc etc. And, bought a TON of the earthquake straps off of Amazon. I think my husband has installed half of them, so that part is still a work in progress. ;-) i figure Murphy's Law says if I prepare obsessively, we wont need it. ;-)

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

I do not live in earthquake country, but I've still gotten tall furniture (bookcases and dressers) that come with instructions for attaching them to the wall, to prevent tipping. If I opened all the drawers of my dresser at once, I'm pretty sure it would go over - gravity isn't just a good idea - it's the law!

• weaver2
    8 years ago

I just noticed Terri is also PacNw. :-)

and wanted to apologize for helping to hijack his/her thread. Terri, I hope you post pics when your island is finished. My kitchen remodel, which has been in the planning stages for years (which is why I have been lurking here for so long) still has many undecided parts. But a dedicated baking area with room to roll out dough, and just SPACE to work, is one of the few things I am determined to have, no matter what. So, I totally understand your motivation on the island...

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

weaver2, we have the car and home emergency kits. I guess I should add strapping to my preparedness. I, too, hope for Murphy's Law. Especially The Big One. If that hits, between the 9.0 and tsunami (I live on a harbor on the coast), strapping won't really make a difference.

AnnKH, I have never purchased a new piece of furniture (except couch and mattresses). So have never had anything come with instructions. :) Who would ever open all their drawers at the same time? Do people really do that? Yeah, mine would tip if I did that, too, but I can't imagine any reason for doing that.

Also, it's not the law. At least not in my state per my web search, unless I missed it. I did find a heart-breaking website: Meghan's Hope that a mom started after her daughter died from a chest that fell on her. She is working with several national organizations including public education campaigns but doesn't mention any laws although she mentioned working toward a law. I truly did not know the risks. It's amazing my kids lived to adulthood.

OK, am checking out straps now.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't mind the hijack...yeah PNW..surrounded by water...I don't worry about earthquakes for preparedness at home..my concern is my husband works on the main land.. I worry that if something big happens, he'll be stuck in the (425).... :(

Weaver, as of this morning, we are talking about forgoing the island/work table for now. It's not an integral part of the design in reality as much as I would love that extra space.

But all of the dialog on this thread has been very useful.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Not to further threadjack but if The Big One happens, the predictions are that there may be no road to be stuck on. Of course, we have no idea how bad it will be in your vicinity as you're more inland but it could potentially be the biggest earthquake in recorded history so even King County (and thereabouts) is going to see a lot of damage. You might want to read this: The Really Big One

We have home and car kits but, really, if The Really Big One hits, our house will be at the bottom of the hill. I doubt I'll need my kit. Liquifaction will destroy our roads so the kit in the car won't be much good either. I'm not about living in fear. If I was, I'd move. I figure I gotta go somehow. In fact, just heading out to the beach now. If it hits then, sayonara. But, really, do have an emergency preparedness kit at home and in your car. It just makes sense.

• weaver2
    8 years ago

Yes to everything Funky said. We cant expect our planning to help with The Big One, but who knows how many Little Things it might help with (or, NOT. Since we are all investing so heavily in utilizing Murphy! Come on Murphy!!)

Thank you, Terri, for being so good natured about the hijack. Such an interesting conversation. And, since this is the first post that I ever posted on, after lurking for years, thanks for that!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Not to mention other events, like the big storm in '07, where those kits could come in quite handy!

• weaver2
    8 years ago

OMG! I was thinking the same thing! i kept trying to figure out just how long ago that storm was.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol, that storm...my husband opened the front door to head to work..news wasn't reporting much on the freeway and metro area yet.(he leaves the house at 5:30...anyway, opened the front door and couldn't see the car..buried under 36" of snow from midnight to 5 am..shut the door and went back to bed...tried to leave a few days later, but they had come through and only plowed the "main" street, must have been just before he left..didn't see in the dark that there was a short wall..he got the car high centered.. I think he missed about a week of work..because commuting was impossible.

The storm that affected me the most was the great freeze of 90 or 91. That sucked!

I am really not worried about being unsafe if the big one hits. I live on a very big rock! And I doubt even a Tsunami wave would hit on my "knob".. Even though I have a peek a boo view of the Sound/Shipping Lanes and Olympics. That Shore is about 3 miles away on the West and 6 or 7mi on the inland side.

Welcome Weaver! Have you met rtdoug? He grew up from around these parts too.. In fact I often wonder if I've ever crossed his path when he's in the Valley visiting his mom up this way and I'm on the "Mainland" doing my Costco run. :)

• weaver2
    8 years ago

Thank you, Terri! rtdoug. The name sounds familiar. I probably have read his posts, without realizing he is a fellow NW'er.

Hope you and Funky both stay cool the rest of the week!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

The storm of '07 I was thinking about was hurricane winds. I don't recall any area having snow, but I could be remembering wrong. Gusts recorded of about 150mph at our local coast guard station. And torrential downpour. Our entire county was like an island due to the combination of flooding and downed trees. Gov. Gregoire had to fly in by helicopter even though the east end of our county is only 20 minutes from the capital because you couldn't drive here for days. It took something like 3 days to clear the trees from the highway. And that was after she called in the National Guard and they worked from one end while local crews worked from the other.

One stretch of road about 10 miles long had over 300 downed trees across it! People with chainsaws from all over got out and helped. My DH helped cut trees for two days. He might as well help because he couldn't get to work.

Power was out in some areas for over a week. We considered ourselves lucky to get ours back in three days. And we live in town and rarely lose power. If we do, it's just for an hour or so. IIRC, parts of Seattle also didn't have power for about a week or so.

It was crazy. We were one of hundreds of people with a big tarp on our roof for a few months until we could re-shingle. We looked like a town that didn't believe in roofing, just tarps. :)

Believe me, I was glad for our small generator which saved the food in the freezer, for wood heat so we didn't freeze (it was in December), and a good camp stove to cook on under the porch roof. And our emergency kit, lol.

ETA: If it is The Big One, the entire west coast is supposed to shift west about 50-100 feet. Not sure how far east that will impact. Hope your rock doesn't move!

If anybody is interested in some fascinating information about this, I suggest reading The Orphan Tsunami. It's about how the geologist first found evidence of these quakes about 30 miles from my house, much more evidence has been found since, but it actually took reading the very well-kept historical records of tsunamis in Japan to prove it. The Japanese called it an orphan tsunami when it wiped out many coastal areas there because they had never experienced a tsunami without also having an earthquake. That's because the earthquake happened here. Absolutely amazing stuff. Mother Earth is powerful, that's for sure.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

weaver, I love the heat! Spent most of today at the beach. May go back tomorrow. Of course, it's a bit cooler there with the wind but there wasn't much of it today, but just enough. :)

Stay cool and enjoy it yourself.

• chicagoans
    8 years ago

Have you looked at kitchen carts with drawers? There are many styles that aren't open like a work table. Many have casters, which you could lock in place or even remove if you don't want it to be mobile. It seems like a cart, which is already made to be balanced and finished on the sides and back, might be a good option.

Terri_PacNW thanked chicagoans
  • Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chicagoans, I am looking at that as well. I have a mini one that I would love to find in a larger/taller version.