SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

My Lexington Garden

Marie Tulin
8 years ago

Thanks to Barb (NHbabs) there are some pictures of my garden on the 'pictures' thread here. I am too darned lazy to take photos. She knows how to make me look good!

Here are some things you don't know from looking at the pictures:

I planted shade loving hydrangeas in the sun and the sun tolerant ones in the shade. Most things are planted too close. I'll have to hire crew of moving men to help me reorganize. The bed I despaired of is weedless is because I spent 30 hours handweeding it. Then we bought 3 yards of composted leaf mold for a 4 inch layer of mulch. That took many hours of carting and raking. We're creating a nook to eat and sit in the perennial garden, so a lot of plants will have to move just to get the grading done and the pavers in. I'll replant the bed with a more simple plan so I won't be deadheading and fussing all season. I'm thinking it might be a mid-summer to fall garden, with echinaceas, small oakleaf hydrangeas, and hardy mums. So that deep layer of composted leaves is to be dug in and invigorate the soil after 20 years of improving only planting holes.

The "we:" business is inaccurate. I am hiring someone to design the new patio, dig up and replant what plants I'll re-using. Now I'm in the market for a specimen sized tree to provide shade in the garden and near the house.

Claire, you can look at the lawn from Cape Cod and see the crabgrass. The lawn is- honestly and truly- 80 % weeds. Nothing like a lawn mower to even out the height of various weeds. And no edger has graced my borders since last summer.

My daughter wanted to get married in the garden next June. Now its a March date and I am sighing with relief because that's too early for a garden wedding. I can space out the work a bit and it won't matter if something is not finished. I would have driven myself crazy. And I am sure most of the 30 somethings would not have noticed.

Thanks, Barb, for posting the photos and the compliments. That's 20 years of gardening and some serious and expensive mistakes caught in a moment of time, at a good moment.

Newbies, take heart and get a good photographer!

Marie

Comment (1)