SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontarah

African Violet losing its leaves

ontarah
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've got an African Violet I've had since about March or so. I've been fairly low maintenance with it. It sits in a south facing window with blinds so it gets indirect sunlight a good part of the day. I always water from the roots and usually only when I notice the soil is dry. I cut away dried out or rotting leaves. It was fine until a month or so ago. I noticed that it seems to have fewer and fewer leaves growing. When I first noticed the soil was bone dry so I figured it must need water. I stepped up the watering regimen - giving it water only from the bottom, which the plant always sucked completely dry. However, I've seen no improvement in the number of leaves and the remaining ones are healthy in the leaves but limp/brown in the stems close to the base of the plant. I have probably over watered and exacerbated whatever problem I originally had. However, I have no idea what was causing it to lose leaves in the first place.

*Edit* Also just remembered that my boyfriend occasionally adds some tea (black) from the bottom because he read somewhere this is good for it. It's done infrequently, and it never seemed to harm the plant in the past.

Comments (10)