SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Just need some opinions on contract "verbiage"..

njbuilding143
8 years ago

Not trying to bore anyone but would just like to get some opinions on some "verbiage" that was in our contract/proposal as me and the builder are having some disagreement with this.. I have to contact some outside contractors to see what the price difference would be but anyway.. The issue is regarding the staircase, again.. And of course it is an "after the fact" problem as the stairs were just installed.. Our contract reads as follows:

"Interior Steps & Railings - Provide oak stair treads, risers, cap and spindles for main staircases. Provide and install pine steps for basement with pine railing. Provide and
install bessler attic stair"

The issue is with the main staircase.. When the proposal was given and I read it over I liked what it said and my understanding was that the stairs had oak treads, oak risers, oak caps, and oak spindles.. The builder is now trying to say that what he "meant" and what they "normally do" is oak treads with pine risers that they paint.. Now, I am not an english professor but I believe the way that I read it was correct as the "oak" describes the items that follow.. Otherwise it should have read "Provide oak stair treads with pine riser.........etc".. When I called the project manager I could tell that he got very nervous and after a minute or two I heard the ruffling of the papers.. He then said that he needed to speak with the owner but that what he described (oak treads and pine risers) is what they had planned and all that is included.. I recall when we discussed the house we even mentioned full wood stairs being stained.. And now I am trying to think if this has something to do with cutting costs since the stairs came out an extra 6 inches wider then they were supposed to be..

Opinions?

Comments (35)