SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elliement

Exterior paint-not sure I agree w/House Color Consultant?

elliement
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Any opinions appreciated! Please see my only ideabook for photos of my own exterior and also my interior colors I'm working with.

I took a class years ago when moving into my current house from a House Color Consultant. She's also a landscape architect and interior advisor and stages homes for resale. Didn't follow her advice last time I painted the house and kept bright white trim and went with a black (gasp) door-which she said not to do. She said I should do 2/3 white and 1/3 body mix for trim. She suggested a lighter shade door than what I had (cranberry), or also a biscuit trim like BM Bracken House, and shutters a few shades deeper than house body color (Olympic Stonehedge Grey). She said front door should reflect foyer and beyond in the house. If I go with a biscuit trim I'll have to repaint soffits and white gutters along roof-which I don't paint now.

She also suggested adding wider trim to all windows (too expensive I think? Would it be worth doing to JUST front porch windows?) Also working hinges and S irons at least on front of house (again-expense vs. benefit?) Plus the front is shady and I would never "use" shutters. Even fake Home Depot tiebacks/hinges in black would be $400 for front windows plus labor and would be against a dark shutter (Cost vs. bene?).

She said to paint lamp post, birdhouse, and fence in house body color?.. Which is kind of going against that Walpole Woodworkers look I was going for.

If anyone would be so kind as to check out my ideabook house paint photos and let me know if they agree with what she is saying (or think another color scheme would look great) that would be MOST APPRECIATED! Specific color names/numbers would be helpful as I don't know paint and I have a hard time visualizing. I'm not that confident in doing this after I didn't listen and went w/black door which I really don't like anymore. It does look like a black hole to me as HCC said it would :-( I would like to stay away from a yellow door if possible. Next door neighbor has bright yellow door-the only one on the entire street. I don't want to copy lol.

If you are unable to see my ideabook, please let me know how to fix that-I'm new-thanks!

Comments (16)