SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewgillsmith88

Please tell me why this wouldn't work....

A Smith
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We recently installed a new shower. Great tilework, plumbing, etc. A flawless, meticulously installed mud pan with an embedded membrane. Unfortunately, there is no membrane or waterproofing behind the walls. I know this is a big no-no on Houzz, but in our area 65-75% of new installs are not waterproofed, so I'm clearly not alone.

That being said, I'd like to ameliorate the problem as much as possible. It seems to me that there are two big risks:

1. A leak, which would be catastrophic and probably require a full tear-out and re-do

2) Seepage/weeping through the sealer, grout/tile, and durock, which is likely to happen over a longer period of time and could weaken studs, lead to mold, etc..

My contractor is a good guy with a solid reputation. He has said he stands behind his work and will do warranty/repair if it ever becomes necessary, although he says he has never had to repair a shower.

So rather than taking the extreme and very expensive step of tearing out the tile and re-doing it with a membrane, what if I did this instead:

a) I can access the backside of the durock walls via my master closet and over-the-garage attic.

b) By doing this, I can apply RedGard or another poly coat waterproofing agent to the backside of the durock BETWEEN the studs.

c) This should significantly reduce the risk of sweating or seepage into the wall spaces, which could lead to mold.

d) I realize it still leaves the studs at risk of rot should water seep through to them. Couldn't I simply seal the studs as well and then reinforce them by gluing/adhering braces alongside them over the now-sealed backside of the durock?

I'm not a contractor (not really even all that handy), so I could be missing something really obvious here. But it seems to me that this approach, while not perfect, would meaningfully reduce my risk of water seeping through the tile, grout, and durock and into my wall cavities where it could get trapped and cause mold.

I'd still be S.O.L. in the event of a true leak, though.

So, what am I missing?

Comments (15)