Fridge water filter v. under sink water filter

Alex Kaplan

I am trying to decide if I really need an under the sink water filter. I will preface this by saying we drink massive amounts of water and have an infant for whom we need good lead filtration. (Our home has a lead service pipe).

We have a brand new Bosch fridge that is soon to be installed with an integrated water filter/dispenser. The filter has dual NSF ratings, but the data sheet doesnt show its effectiveness for many contaminants. It lists a good handful (and is indeed very effective for lead).

Our under the counter filter pick is the Aquaversa. The dual NSF ratings and testing data are steller. We don't really have a lot of room in our small kitchen for 2 faucets, though.

Do you think we should leave well enough alone (Fridge filter) or go the extra mile (under the counter)? Our kitchen renovation is in progress so we need to decide quite quickly.

Thanks.

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Be sure to post in the Kitchens forum or perhaps Plumbing. This isn't the best place for your query. One thing to check is the price of the fridge filters. I believe that some can be quite costly. And see how much room you would need under the sink for the unit. Can you leave room for it and add later if you decide that the fridge filter is inadequate?

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
John Wall

I'd say it depends on where you are living. I'm in the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania, which is notorious for contaminated tap water, so I have both an Aquaversa and a Brita Filter for pitchers. I also try to stay away from the bottled water too because of the environmental issues. But I would find out how clean the local water is before making any major changes or paying extra money.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Healthy Home How to Choose a Home Water Filtering System
Learn which water purification method is best for your house, from pitchers to whole-house setups
Full Story
Window Treatments 12 Great Decorative Alternatives to Curtains
Filter light and views while drawing the eye by dressing windows in specialty glass, artistic screens or snazzy shades
Full Story
Green Building How to Switch to a Tankless Water Heater
New project for a new year: Swap your conventional heater for an energy-saving model — and don’t be fooled by misinformation
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever