SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattttyb

Tomato seedlings not growing very fast?

mattttyb
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums, and to gardening for that matter.

I planted these tomato seeds about 2.5 - 3 weeks ago in a specialized commercial potting mix designed for seedlings/seed growing. I wanted to know if they look healthy to you because they seem to be lagging behind based on images I've seen on the web for their age. I live in Darwin Australia so it is a tropical climate. We don't suffer from cold weather. They are out in the sun all day in a good spot (8 hours at least) and usually water them once or twice a day.

The ones on the left are Black Russians (black krim), the middle ones are Romas, and the ones to the right which to me don't look like they are doing very well at all are the Grosse Lisses.

Does something look wrong or would you say I'm worrying over nothing?

Many thanks for your time!

P.S - I was also wondering when potting these up to very small pots if I should stick with the seedling potting mix or should I switch over to a general potting mix or specialized tomato growing potting mix? and how many times would you repot a tomato plant burying the stem for a better root system before the final planting position? at this stage I was thinking of going from seedling tray to a small pot, and then to it's final position which will be a very very large container.

Sorry one more thing lol. If you had the choice, what would be the best way to grow the tomatoes? garden beds with top soil mixed with manure, potting mix, etc. Or big containers with potting mix? At this stage I'm leaning towards containers. I figure that it gives me more control if things go bad and the potting mix can be replenished. Please share your thoughts.

Comments (17)