SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkbsmiles

Kitchen layout - debating bump out addition

jennbo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I don't think I've posted often on GW, but I have been using this thing for years. We did a 900 SqFt addition in 2008 and I poured over the remodeling and bath forums at the time. Two summers ago we updated the landscape with significant hard-scaping (retaining walls and beds) and the GW forums on materials and plants was amazing. I'm finally on to the kitchen and though I have poured over the many excellent posts - this time, I need some help!

I'd appreciate any thoughts from the GW audience about a potential addition to my home and how that impacts a potential kitchen layout. For the starting post, I've attached the main floor layout and the existing kitchen layout.

Things to note:

- the bump out is limited to 17" deep and length of 17'4" to match the bump out that exists on the floor above.* See comment #5 if your curious about why the limitation.

- The only structural wall appears to be the wall between the kitchen & stairs.

- There is a preference by my husband to not add the bump out (cost)

- The other consideration is time - a bump out will require more work for permitting.

Besides the bump out, I want to open the kitchen up more to the dining room - either fully open or just more, so I will post 4 optional layouts I have come up with for discussion here - but I'm open to anything really.

1) No bump out - L-Shape - opens kitchen up to dining room.

2) No bump out - U-Shape - expands opening into dining room.

3) Bump out - L-Shape - opens kitchen up to dining room, plus adds 17"

4) Bump out - U-Shape - expands opening into dining room, plus adds 17"

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!