SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
braverichard

Force H. Paniculata "Pink Diamond" to leaf out again

I purchased 3 Hydrangea Paniculata "Pink Diamonds" from Home Depot on sale ... they aren't in the best shape, with practically 90% of the leaves having yellowed and dropped off, most likely from lack of watering. Two of them actually have blooms on them. They have lots of roots in their small pots, are root bound and obviously with so many roots there is no place for the pots to hold water for them which is probably why they started shedding their leaves with the 100-115 F days we have been having.

I've planted them and now I want to know if there is anyway for me to force the bushes to replace those lost leaves. I'm keeping them very well watered, constantly checking soil moisture to avoid over or under watering. I've planted many plants in the middle of summer with great success so I know how to keep them alive. I'm aware of how apical dominance works in many plants, just don't know about these hydrangeas. If I cut off the tips which have few leaves such that the bushes are then just bare sticks of no leaves, will that cause them to leaf back out all the way, essentially as if they are coming out of dormancy?

Comments (7)