SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Is this a reasonable price for restoring leather furniture?

juddgirl2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a leather sofa, love seat, chair and ottoman set that's 14 years old but very well made, with 8 way hand tied springs and down wrapped cushions. It might not be the latest style but I like it fine and it's just as comfortable now as when it was new, although the leather is getting worn and faded. I might break up the chair from set into different rooms or use this in the bonus room when we move but I can see it lasting another 15 years.

I have a quote for $2050 total to restore the leather for all 4 pieces. $850 for the sofa, $650 for the love seat and $550 for the chair and ottoman. This includes cleaning, treating body oils/stains, re-dye to original color, conditioning, and a protective top coat.

I would probably pay an extra $225 to dye the furniture to a darker saddle brown color instead of staying with the original camel color.

I know it's probably a lot of work and the contractor's before and after pictures are impressive but this quote is higher than I was expecting.

Do you think it's reasonable and worth it to recondition leather on an older set rather than buying new? This was an expensive set when I bought it and it would be costly to replace with all new quality furniture.

(These are temporary pillows, ordered for a new couch in the eat in kitchen area)

Comments (25)