SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Newflora Kordes roses - let's rate them to provide feedback

Hi folks
On another thread, Chris from Newflora roses mentioned that he seeks out and welcomes feedback on the roses they grow. They're not a primary seller directly, but they supply a lot of rose companies, and they're responsible for many of the newest disease resistant Kordes coming to the US market, including the delicious Dark Desire. To quote Chris:

"I always appreciate any feedback on what is working in any climate. I
like to say there is no bad data. So please feel free to let me know
how the Kordes is working in your climate. As I gather the information
we will try to get it onto the website for others to use in making
decisions on what roses to plant.. You can always use the comment
section on the website. I will not approve junk but if it is an honest
comment I will put it on the site."

I figured here on GW Roses, you don't have to ask us twice - we love providing feedback, and we have access to a wide variety of opinions from all over the world. I'll start by listing all the Newflora roses on helpmefind.com (a terrific rose resource if you don't already check it routinely - it's totally worth a modest membership to support it). You're welcome to comment on other Kordes roses that you love, though since there are 100's of those I'll start with a focus on the ones Newflora grows. I haven't doublechecked that all of these are indeed Kordes, but it looks like they are.

Newflora list as of July 2015 (72 and counting):

Aloha Hawaii

Amadeus

Antique 89

Apricot Vigorosa

Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Berolina/Selfridges

Blush Veranda

Bonanza

Brilliant Verands

Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale

Burgund

Cerise Veranda

Chica

Cinderella

Copper Queen

Cream Veranda

Dark Desire

Diamant

Duftzauber 84

Electric Balconia

Eliza

Felicitas

First Crush

Floral Fairy Tale

Fortuna Vigorosa

Golden

Golden Gate

Grande Amore

Hamburg Girl

Hot Pink Balconia

Innocencia Vigorosa

Jasmina

Kosmos

Laguna

Larissa

Lemon Veranda

Liebeszauber

Lions-Rose

Lupo

Manita

Marie-Luise Marjan

Memoire

Moonlight

Pepita

Petticoat

Pink Martini

Pompon Veranda

Pomponella

Postillion

Queen of Hearts

Raspberry Balconia

Rebell

Red Corsair

Rosanna

Rose of Hope

Rosenfee

Ruby Vigorosa

Salmon Vigorosa

Schwartze Madonna

Siena Vigorosa

Solero

Speelwark

Summer Breeze

Sunrise Vigorosa

Sunstar

Sweet Jane

Sweet Vigorosa

Topolina

Toscana Vigorosa

Tradition 95

Tupelo Honey

Valencia

That's already a long enough post to start with, so I'll upload that and give my feedback as the first response.

Cynthia

Comments (185)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

Sheila, I too live in southern or

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

We are so lucky to be in Southern Oregon with so many rose choices available.

• Related Discussions

Q

Comments (23)
    I used to live in Olympia (Washington) and I grew roses there in that Pacific Northwest climate. I haven't grown many of the roses on your list, and almost none of them when I was in Washington. Let's see what I can tell you. Alberic Barbier is a great beauty, lovely foliage and blooms; gets pretty large and has one big flowering with scattered blooms following. I don't remember seeing AB growing in Washington but suspect it does well there. Easy to grow and superbly healthy. Chianti: I've seen this rose a couple of times in Italy and it's spectacular in bloom. It's once-blooming and large and I don't know now it does in the PNW. Konigin von Danemark: this is a beautiful rose, more deeply colored and thornier than most of the Albas, and harder to propagate from cuttings, at least in my experience; but a splendid variety. I had a lot of Albas in Olympia and they were every one of them beautiful fragrant roses, healthy and easy to grow: I recommend them all highly. Nur Mahal: I've had this rose for years and it has never reached its potential, but I've heard (often) that it can be great. I didn't discover the Hybrid Musks until after I moved to Italy, but I bet that they're the PNW shrub roses par excellence. I love this class, especially the Pemberton musks, for their fine foliage and habit, beautiful and sweetly scented blooms, and overall air of grace and luxuriance. They're easy to grow. Queen Elizabeth: this is a fine stout upstanding rose that was common in Washington when I lived there and grows all over here in Italy as well. I had it one time and got rid of it because I couldn't detect any scent. It's easy to turn up one's nose at QE because she grows everywhere and has no fragrance, but I bet she's still going to be around in a hundred years (the rose, not the monarch), and looking quite handsome in old age. Rose de Rescht. I had it in Olympia and didn't love it, but it grew well and I don't remember any disease. I have it here too but my cutting-grown plants are still growing. Fragrant and a good dark color. Sharifa Asma. A pretty rose, pale pink but I always think of it as white, with a superb scent, one of the best. I have SA for its fragrance; note also that it's easy to grow. I had a lot of DA roses in Olympia and adored them, but they were never vigorous for me. I suspect they needed fatter living--more water and nutrients--than I generally supplied my roses, and possibly a sunny warm spot in the garden. Stanwell Perpetual. Had it there, have it here, suspect I've never brought the best out of it. Beautiful little shapely fragrant blooms, pale pink with a button eye, on a wiry thorny open very tough bush that has nifty Pimpinellia foliage and likes to sucker. One of the first and last to flower. For me in Olympia many of my best roses were the once-blooming old roses: I had Albas, Gallicas, and Mosses, and loved them all. I didn't get around to Centifolias (except for Crested Moss, which was superb) and Damasks, but would certainly want to try them if I lived there. Bourbons didn't do much for me in Olympia. I suspect many of them needed more heat than they got: 'Louise Odier' is a far stronger plant here than in Olympia; and I'm finally allowing 'Mme. Pierre Oger' back in my garden here after suffering with her black-spotted wimpy predecessor in my Washington garden. As I mentioned above, I hadn't yet discovered Hybrid Musks when I was in Olympia, but think they would be wonderful. Another small group to look into would be 'Mlle. Cécile Bruenner' and related roses: they're a reasonable size, have enchanting little flowers and foliage, are healthy as can be and aren't like anything else in the rose world. And then there are Kordes's Fruehlings- roses, big fragrant once-blooming species hybrids of great character and beauty, and some of the early-flowering species yellows like 'Canary Bird' and R. hugonis, that bloom, I think, with the lilacs. Most of the roses I've listed are shrubs, some quite large, and many are once-blooming; they're also informal in style and for garden design purposes best thought of as landscape shrubs. These are the kind of roses I love, but they may not be your taste in roses. More upright and contained varieties with large flowers and repeat bloom are more formal: they include most Hybrid Teas and Floribundas, many Hybrid Perpetuals, and the Portlands/Hybrid Damasks. I don't know much about these, but there will be some varieties that will be adapted to the mild wet winters, dry summers, and lack of summer heat of western Washington. I never had much trouble with disease in my garden, and would take with a grain of salt what eastern growers say about disease resistance of their roses. Olga knows exactly what she's talking about, but she has high blackspot pressure in her garden, and in my experience this isn't much of a problem in Washington; a rose that defoliates for her might do quite well for you. I never sprayed my roses. One hybrid Tea that does well in Washington I believe is the old variety 'Radiance', which also has numerous sports. Melissa
    ...See More

Asking for input on healthy roses

Q

Comments (31)
    Playboy, Hot Cocoa, Oklahoma and Lavaglut are gone from my garden. When I started having vole problems I took the opportunity to dig them up and give them to a friend. Golden Celebration and Night Owl both have been terrible with BS, despite several early-season sprayings with Bayer. They're really too big to move so they remain. But only until I get ahold of the vole problem. (Guess I'm kinda letting the voles have them, sigh!) The roses I kept are mostly in pots, and I believe I can grow them all no-spray once the BS magnets are gone. I'm really happy with the health of Sunshine Daydream, Tamora, Prairie Harvest, Lions Rose, the Fairy, Darlow's Enigma, Blush Noisette, Vanity, Mystic Beauty, Belinda's Dream, and Easter Basket. I'll also keep Lyda Rose and Lavender Dream; they do occasionally shed a lot of leaves but always recover. I ordered mostly Kordes roses this year which I plan to grow in pots: Savannah, Eliza, Pink Enchantment, Peach Drift, Dark Desire. Sure hope they're healthy!
    ...See More

My rating of best Fragrant Roses..

Q

Comments (82)
    Low nitrogen & Low phosphorus and high potassium & calcium was what helped with my Betty White. Both high nitrogen and high phosphorus attract thrips. High potassium & calcium (2 part potassium to 1 part calcium) helped with Betty White. It's short since I use low-nitrogen. My garden is no-spray and I use organic fertilizers: horse manure, alfalfa meal and just a tiny bit of chicken manure NPK 2-4-3 (Coop Poop), plus red-lava-rock for high potassium & calcium. Below top bloom is Betty White: Below Left is Evelyn, right is Betty White:
    ...See More

new kordes roses: Summer Romance and First Crush

Q

Comments (79)
    @Liz Bell summer romance prefers full sun here in the south and they do not burn in all day sun. As long as they get 6 or more hours of sun it does well Mine got afternoon dappled shade after 1 pm from a nearby tree until the sun shifted enough in late afternoon to provide more direct sun. So if your areas can provide at least 6 hours it should be great. Kordes here seem to prefer all day sun compared to Austin’s. Our zones are probably not very different since I am in alabama
    ...See More
    7 years ago

Isn't that the truth.

7 years ago

I am searching from Red Ridinghood and can't find anyone who carries it. Anyone have this rose? Thoughts?

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

Try Kordes rose Red Riding Hood and you can get information on the rose. It's not sold any where over here that I know of. It's an older variety so if it is sold. It is likely under a new name. Roses Unlimited is one of the few places that sells some of the older Kordes roses.

7 years ago

Rose s unlimiteds websit s down right now.

Sheila, who do you usually order from?

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Palatine sells it under the name The 1812 Rose.

7 years ago

Thanks Dave, I will check it out

7 years ago

Found it. I think I will give it a try along with several others lol

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Kristine, I love High Country Roses, Antique Rose Emporium, Heirloom, Rogue Valley Roses, Burlington, Northland Rosarium and Greenmantle. ARE roses are the largest version of the Tea roses I've found. David Austin Roses have also been great and they send huge plants. Palatine has sent me 3 roses last November that were grafted on multiflora and they have also been huge and great. It depends on what kind of roses you want. The OGRs and Teas are usually sold as bands which are smaller of course, but do great in the long run. I want mail order or RVRs because I want what I want and plan to try a particular rose and they are not usually sold in the usual retail locations.

7 years ago

Agree, I am willing to pay the shipping because I want what I want. I have gotten beautiful roses from Heirloom and pretty poor roses from Jackson and Perkins. They even needed pruning. I have roses ordered fom DA and Palatine. Some are Kordes some are DA. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open at Lowe's. I have never checked there.

I work at Harry and David and have been a Jackson ad Perkins faithful by after the last couple of orders from them I am excited to try Kordes

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    7 years ago

Can't fail with Kordes roses. Mine are all own root and all from Northland Rosarium except a couple. I'm fortunate enough to live near Northland. Display gardens are breathtaking. My husband says they should charge admission. Of course, they don't.

Bajazzo, 2nd yr. bands, growing like crazy on an arbor. Bloomed steady all summer, no disease. Didn't grow much until this (2nd) season.

Bonny, 5 yr. in garden. A once bloomer that seems a bit tender for my zone 5. Fragile canes and foliage. Pretty little clusters of pink blooms that last a long time on the plant. Never any sign of disease. Possibly no longer available.

Cinderella, 3rd yr. bands, slow growth, lovely romantic blooms, healthy plants. Both planted near tall pines may account for slow growth.

Cream Veranda, first year band, growing in a pot, once it started blooming, it hasn't stopped. Gorgeous, large, quartered, peachy apricot cream blooms. Healthy.

Dark Desire, first year, 3 gal., big, robust blooms, beautiful foliage, sprawling growth. Healthy. Plan to buy another.

Dortmund, first year band, planted late but eager to grow, eager to bloom. Appears healthy.

Earth Angel, first year bands, far surpassed my expectations and will have to be moved to larger area next season. Blooms are bigger than I expected and plants already larger than stated size. Beautiful healthy plant. Plan to buy more.

First Crush, first year plants. Wanted to be sure of getting one, and ended up with three, and would happily take more. LOVE this rose. The bands are coming along, and the 3 gal. has grown like crazy and covered in blooms. Strong fragrance, beautifully shaped bush. Healthy.

Honeymoon (Vanilla), first year band, planted late summer, already putting on new growth but no blooms yet, still small. Possible black spot at base.

Jasmina, 2nd yr. band, slow to get going, but my fault for planting her at the base of a tall pine. I will give her more fertilizer to compensate, otherwise, healthy and pretty blooms. No disease.

Little Chap, first year band, planted in an urn, took off like lightening, already draping way down sides, blooming nonstop. Healthy.

Pink Enchantment, 3rd yr. band, slow growth, but competing with HUGE Charles de Mills, which is coming out! so should be more robust next year. Only blooms were affected by extreme heat. No disease.

Quick Silver, first year band, newly planted, putting on new growth, looks healthy.

Rosarium Uetersen, 5 years in garden, completely maintenance free, gets very little care, always nice growth and blooms. No disease.

Summer Romance, first year, one band, one 3 gal. slow settling in. One bloom from the 3 gal. May be more vigorous next year. Nice bush form. Both appear healthy.

Westerland, 2 first year bands, growing like wildfire, one has bloomed quite a bit, the other hasn't. One has grown to 5' tall from a band planted this season. The other, planted later, is putting on new beautiful growth. Very impressed. No disease.

I probably have older Kordes that I am not thinking of but these are my most recent additions. An eclectic list, for sure.

7 years ago

Chris do you offer tours at newflora?

Will I be able to find Kordes roses locally in Medford at either Lowe's or Home Depot 2017?

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

I recently got a bunch of Kordes roses from Chamblees (planted them about a month ago) and I'm very impressed with all of them so far.

Cream Veranda: I grew this one before, was a great rose for me but died after I put it in a pot it didn't like. Now its doing swimmingly in its new spot in the raised bed. Bloom size is huge for such a small plant and its a constant bloomer. If she continues to perform like this I may mass plant it in a border.

Plum Perfect: This one was small when it arrived but it has one big bud on it right now and its planted in a place where its competing for sun (Pope John Paul II is trying to bully it a bit) but she's fighting back. Even with little sun she has no black spot whatsoever.

Solero Vigorosa:

This one I think is my favorite of the bunch. Like cream veranda, its blooms are huge for such a small plant. They last and last on the bush too and its such a nice compact grower, you can stick it in any little nook in the garden and so far mine has done splendidly. Has no black spot at all so far and the blooms are very full. This is another one I'm thinking of getting more of.

Roxy Vigorosa: this rose is almost like a miniature in both leaf size and bloom size. I was hoping the flowers would be larger, but they are about the size of a quarter, it blooms a ton though and has very little disease problems thus far.

Savannah: This one is still small and has yet to bloom, but I'm expecting good things from her. She's part of the Solero collection which is meant to do well here in the hotter parts of the country. So far no black spot and putting on nice new growth.

Some of the problems I've had with Kordes roses in the past have not appeared to be a problem with the veranda and Vigorosa series (mostly lots of growth and no blooms). My only problem one is Summer Romance who just wont bloom even though she's gotten huge and is extremely healthy. I cut her back by about half and she just grew right back with no blooms. I'm going to give her another season and see if she starts producing. My Elegant Fairy Tale did the same thing its first year and now she blooms more readily (after about 4 years in the garden)

I'd really like to see more of the Veranda and Vigorosas sold around here. These are good performers in my South Florida climate and should be distributed as much as the drift roses which also do well.

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The 2016 growing season is finally over. It's now a good time to share my evaluations on the new Kordes roses I grow/have grown.

Those of you who may be planning to add them to your garden or compare notes, will find out the good and bad of how they performed for me.

1.) BEVERLY

(positive) very vigorous, luxuriant grower; 4' X 3' easily reached in no time; great fragrance; quick to repeat; 5" heavily petaled flowers.

(negative) a little blossom quilling, but acceptable; flat blooms when fully open with which I can live; good to very disease resistance but does get some BS, but I spray anyway; considerable dieback over winter - needs protection or it will die to the ground, but just another HT I have to winterize along with the rest, no sweat.

RATING, out of 10 points, 9.5. I like it so much I have two more gallon size Beverlys from Chamblee's waiting in my fruit cellar for spring to come.

2.) PINK ENCHANTMENT

(positive) lovely 4.5", heavily petaled blossoms; just about no quilling (Do you dislike excessive quilling as much as I do, particularly on low petal count blooms?); more than just moderately fragrant to my nose; husky, vigorous grower; 4' X 3' easily reached quickly; likes to bloom and repeats quickly; no BS, very bullet proof disease wise; very winter hardy, no protection.

(negative) full open blooms are flat...I can deal with this though, because of Pink Enchantment's other outstanding attributes.

RATING, out of 10 points, 9.

3.) EARTH ANGEL

(positive) very fragrant flowers; lovely very cupped blooms; very vigorous growth; 4' X 4' easily reached; excellent disease resistance, no BS; winter hardiness without protection.

(negative) half the growth is wild octopus 5' blind growth which may discontinue at maturity, although the other half is shorter and develops blooms; may prove to be a lanky grower, not upright and bushy...remains to be seen at maturity; 3.5" blooms are smallish, but acceptable; some flower balling up...may become excessive in time, will see; stems seem a bit thin and flowers can nod, but again, may tighten up, at maturity.

All in all, I think Earth Angel will continue to improve in time. My instincts tell me it will be a great rose.

RATING, out of 10 points, 8.

4.) DARK DESIRE

(positive) extremely fragrant blooms; 4", a bit small for HT, but acceptable; good petal count with hardly any quilling; likes to bloom, fast repeat, no BS.

(negatives) lots of unattractive white stripes on the center of petals, will watch if they persist next year; has not shown vigorous lush growth this year, its first, hoping for a burst in vigorous growth next year, only reached 16" in height; what growth it has made has blooms at every terminus though.

RATING, out of 10 points, 7.5.

5.) SAVANNAH

(positive) lovely strong fragrance; 4" heavy petaled blooms; just about no quilling.

(negative) some wild, octopus, blind growth, the mostly restrained growth ends in blooms; moderate vigor; not a fast repeater; full open bloom rather flat; just a little BS, not a big deal; must have winter protection or expect considerable dieback.

Savannah may not be as suitable for the North as it is for the South as it is promoted to be. It is on the verge of getting the shovel.

RATING out of 10 points, 7.

6.) ZAIDE

(positive) fragrant blooms; winter hardy with no protection; good disease resistance, gets some BS.

(negative) lanky, leggy, blind growth; extremely reluctant to bloom; small, 2.5" flowers; moderate vigor.

RATING out of 10 points, 3.

7.) SUMMER ROMANCE (aka. "Summer Tragedy")

(positive) fragrant flowers; very disease resistant; winter hardy with no protection.

(negative) ridiculously rampant grower, over abundant, over vigorous blind growth; extremely poor flower production; too tight flower cluster (cannot distinguish indiviudual blooms...crowded, messy blob of flowers).

RATING out of 10 points, 2.

8.) MADAME ANISETTE (Madame "Pass To The Next")

(positive) nothing.

(negative) never bloomed; moderate to thin, extremely vertical all blind growth; no vigor; dropped all its foliage in early August for no reason I could detect, no BS leaf drop, well watered, foliage did not turn yellow first, just suddenly dropped off....still a puzzle to me.

RATING out of 10 points, 0.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with the direction Kordes is going in its rose breeding program. Not every new introduction a rose breeder will place in commerce will do well for every rosarian in every garden environment. I am delighted that Kordes is emphaszing disease resistance, vigor, and hardiness. Under my zone 5/6 cold climate, high black spot stress growing conditions the kinds of roses Kordes is introducing are very welcome.

Among the three top European rose breeders I believe Kordes is first in line on the, "Cutting Edge," followed by Austin, and lastly, Meilland.

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

My Beverly has been so wonderful that I ended up planting 4 of them. Its the only rose that i grow (out of over 100) who's scent actually wafts in the air. If I have a Beverly bloom in a vase on my kitchen counter, you smell it every time you walk in the kitchen. No other rose has ever done that for me.

7 years ago

I'll do my best for those in the north that maybe interested. Rose midge was very active this year so will take this into account. First year roses if they come without midge tend to get a pass. Midge usually does not bother them until 2nd year.

I select according to health, bloom ability. I have a short season and really like flowers. I don't often plant a rose that blooms in flushes tending to stay with continuous bloom.

My 2 oldest are Cream Veranda and Floral Fairy Tale both have continuous bloom and are healthy. For what it's worth I lost my Cream Veranda this year. Turns out she was grafted and in my yard they tend to last 8 to 10 years. I think that one of my cuttings of her is growing. Should it survive winter I'll be thrilled. Either way I have one coming from Northland.

Fire Opal 2nd year is a wonderful rose lots of flowers and healthy. Canes are very winter tender. I intend to remove them during winter this year to prevent the black from getting to the crown. Then cover the crown with leaves.

Stopping to see if this will post before adding more.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

Thank you for the notes on Fire Opal.

7 years ago

I noticed before that sometimes when posting a comment then doing a few things before coming back to finish. It won't let you submit easier to check before continuing on.

Your welcome vaporvac, In her 2nd winter the canes still turned black and mushy all the way to the ground here anyway. According to Roses without chemicals by mid winter the crown has aborbed all of the sugars/starches that it will. They can safely be cut back to waist high to prevent breakage. In a normal winter here FO needs more or the rot affects the crown at the first warm up in spring.

Jolie Veranda 3rd year, I kept 2 of them and It's having a difficult time getting its roots established. Mine are own root and well stick with them for at least four years to see if things improve. When its at its best she is a lovely rose full of flowers and no bs or mildew. Here in Illinois our dew points in corn season are in the high 70's to 80's. Every thing is covered in dew every dog gone night. For what ever reason she bullheads all season. This year I did not see a good flower till the corn dried up. Maybe she needs time to establish or more fertilizer not sure. If anyone knows please share with me.

Milano and Kardinal Kolorscape 3 years except in bud can not tell them apart. Both are vigorous, the same height about 3ft, no bs or mildew and continuous bloom.

Lemon Fizz K. 3 years grows to 5ft x 5ft here with continuous bloom. Nice single yellow of good size and non fading. Glorious wafting scent. The beetles love the scent as well. No bs no mildew. Really pretty shrub for me.

Flamingo is hot pink grows to about 3ft. One made it to 5ft this year. Constant bloom no bs or mildew. I love bright colors. My oldest is 3 years

Cherri K. 1st. years should be about the same size as Flamingo. The color of a maraschino cherry, constant bloom, no bs or mildew.

Pomponella, I love this rose. Healthy as a horse always in bloom. Just love those little pompom. In heavy rains I have seen them brown but no more than any other thick petaled rose here. Gets a little big for me at 6ft x 6ft. or I'd have had more than three. Missed my chance to get Pink Martini/Pink Veranda. Hope to here garden reports on this one.

Golden Fairy Tale 2nd year - had one many years ago lost it too rrd I think. So far it has been healthy not quite continuous bloom but not much down time either. Gorgeous good sized bloom.

Most of the roses except GFT and Lemon Fizz die back to the ground in winter.

Lions Fairy Tale in the past grew to feet in first year. Those were grafted on multiflora from Palatine. Past it's prime so replaced with an own root from Chamblee. Perfect health always in flower. I only wish it could self clean.

Plum Perfect oh my what a rose. No scent but the beetles leave it alone. No wonder it stays shorter as she never stops forming new buds. Add that the flower always opens well here, no bs or mildew and very pretty lavender to plum color. I've ordered 3 more to mix in with Princess Ann.

More to come

• chris2486
    7 years ago

Kristine send me an email at info@newflora.com. We did have a public open house this past summer and had 450 visitors in 5 hours - don't want to do that again :) . I am planning this next summer to allow the local Rose Society to visit so maybe you could come with them. We have not set a date yet.

Patty -- I do think Fire Opal is cane hardy at USDA Zone 5. The problem you may be experiencing is that it is very resistant to cold and is one of the last roses still blooming in my Oregon garden. Since it does not go dormant with just mildly cold weather then it is subject to injury when it finally gets cold enough to cause tissue damage. For this reason in the spring anthracnose can enter in the areas of cold damage and then it spreads. I agree that pruning it down to remove the cold damage will prevent the anthracnose spreading but I would not do this until late winter/ early spring after danger of more cold weather has passed. Any earlier and the anthracnose may enter in the pruning cuts. Reading that much of the country has had very mild fall weather I think many people will experience this problem this spring. The good news is that Fire Opal is a vigorous grower so pruning it low should not matter much in your enjoyment. I am amazed at my late November blooms - we will have cold weather late this week so it probably will not be blooming in December.

Moses we have many years of trialing Beverly in both Europe and N. America as it was introduced in 2007 and have found it easily hardy to USDA Zone 5. One trial that comes to mind is a 5 year trial in Montreal, Canada where it performed very well. I do not think young band pots are the best indicators of cold hardiness as often they are still too young to have good carbohydrate reserves stored in the roots for the winter. In general I would protect all band pots less than one-year from cold until they are of good size.

Thank you all for the feedback. We appreciate all of it and find it invaluable.

7 years ago

A few more because it may help a northern gardener looking for roses.

South Africa had it not been for wirosariun (sp?) I would have not added this rose. I'm eternally grateful for the report. Mine is a 1st year rose that grew and bloom it's way to 4ft this year. Yikes I love this rose. It is vigorous blooms like crazy no bs or mildew. I'm happy that it will survive our winters.

From the Eleganza collection I have four.

Fiji is 2 years old and a gorgeous rose. In its first winter she was tip hardy but I cut her back anyway as the first year canes were not that thick. Rebounded with more cane growth than I had ever seen before. So much growth I was scared it had rrd. It was hit hard by rose midge that wiped out much of her lateral growth and therefore many potential blooms. She still managed a good show. Blooms open consistently and a nice large size, no bs or mildew. This rose and Princess Alexandra of Kent got me searching for other large size blooms that might actually open in my weather.

Sunny Sky was new this year. Already mentioned it this year as it had very vigorous growth the shortest one hit six feet with huge long lasting blooms. No problems opening no matter what the weather, no bs or mildew. I moved all 3 plants and they were not to happy, Hoping they will return to glory next season.

Heart Song also 1st year has not seen winter yet. Not a lot of growth in first year but it was one in a group that came later. Spring was short with heat setting in early. Never fails that my later planted roses just kind of sit and wait for cooler weather to grow well. It was clean no bs or mildew and covered in bloom. A beautiful deep rich red with no blueing.

Pink Enchantment also new was quite impressive. In my yard it had an antique coloring that was lovely. Pinker in cooler fall weather. Good branching plenty of bloom no bs or mildew.

I'm looking to add Winter Sun and either Beverly or Wedding Bells. Depending on Carol's advice from Northland and research. Northland Rosarium is a drier environment than mine thou they get nice feed back from their customers.

7 years ago

From the Sunbelt Collection, I have 5, South Africa and Plum Perfect both listed to zone 5 and already mentioned.

Polar Express is not happy here yet in 2 years that she has been in the yard.. It should work it came thru winter fine. It did have midge damage before I placed the yellow cups out. It does grow well and is healthy with no bs or mildew.

Savannah is new has not seen a winter yet. Nice vigorous rose with good first year flowering. It opens well here no matter what the weather. Healthy with no bs or mildew.

Desmond Tutu could be a bad plant. It is a 2nd year plant so lived thru winter. However at the end of 2nd year it is only 6ins high and had 1 flower. I will say that all 6 inches where healthy. Should it die thou I will not replace it unless someone in as cold a zone as mine reports success growing the rose.

I should also mention my zone envy. For a good 8 to 10 years we did not go below zero in temps. Many of my roses had decent cane left. In these recent years with seriously below zero temps again few have any cane left at all. I do not winter protect but for leaves that blow in. I do have some extra oak leaves to dump on the little cuttings and Fire Opal to help keep the ground cold and slow any spring growth. Thats all

7 years ago

My apologizes that this is getting long but might as well do most of them or I'll never do it.

Now for some that aren't doing well here yet.

Madame Anisette should do well here at some point and be winter hardy. Mine is only one year old from a band. I have 2 of them both have been very vigorous and healthy no bs or mildew. They simple have not set a bud. They gave many canes that grow and grow just no bloom. I pinched out a cane when it reached my height. It responded with lots of laterals that grew and grew but no bloom. I did move them as they were too tall for where I had placed them. They were easy to move and showed no transplant shock at all. I refuse to believe that an ADR rose will never bloom. I'm looking forward to next season.

First Crush is my fault I should have waited for reports on this one. I had 3 Jasmina and Belindas Dream that had bloom problems in my environment. They could not open those blooms with constant dew. They balled and rotted constantly maybe there is something that can help this but I don't know what. Any way First Crush looking to have this type of bloom. I'll see what next year brings.

Ps Just between us rose lovers I wish that I could just put up some industrial sized fans and blow the dew away every morning. But surely someone would see that I was locked up for my own good. More tomorrow

7 years ago

Patty, I'm glad to hear a good report on Pink Enchantment - it gives me hope. Mine has only produced 2 blooms in 2 years and is still very small. However, it was competing with an out of control Charles de Mills that I'm taking out.

I am sorry to hear your First Crush has been a disappointment. We're the same zone, but I'm dryer here. I couldn't quit looking at those blooms all summer. That's my kind of rose! I hope you have a less dewy season in 2017 so yours can show you how beautiful it can be.

Sad that you lost Cream Veranda. That one surprised me with those big flouncy blooms! For some reason I thought the blooms were supposed to be small. It's one of my favorites. Mine is in an urn and overwintering in the garage. Your observations on your roses are helpful, so please continue.

• Ninkasi
    7 years ago

For those of you with Cream Veranda-- I am surprised at flowersaremusic's report of "big, flouncy blooms". Elsewhere in the thread people have reported the blooms are large. If you could share, what size are they? On my bush, they are not that big. It is a good rose, but I would never put the blooms in the large category.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    7 years ago

Patty- did you cut your roses back in the fall? i have read this can't be done since you might get tender growth on warmer days. We have yet to have a killing frost here in MA, some of my roses, Fire Opal being one, still have buds and new leaf growth. Should I cut back any way to avoid cane damage from the heavy snow we get? It's so tough when you get conflicting information.

Sharon

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago

Chris,

In reference to your statement that Beverly is hardy to zone 5...

Is a well grown, mature Beverly (at least 3 yrs. old past a gallon size from Chamblee's), tip hardy, half way down hardy, or only root hardy in zone 5?

Thank you for your input, Moses.

7 years ago

enchantedrosez, No I never cut back in fall or early winter but there are some that are cut back in February. There are some that are cut back to around 3ft. if a big snow storm is on the way as the canes tend to break in that kind of snow.

Ninkasi you are not alone my Cream Veranda has never had large blooms. It is also nearly thornless. I had wanted to ask a while ago where others had purchased there Cream Verandas. Mine was from Palatine grafted on multiflora. My blooms though I have never measured them are around 2 1//2 maybe 3 inches. They are petal packed but have short petals. I'm terrible at describing bloom form.

Thank you flowersaremusic, I did get to see 2 flowers on First Crush in spring they were gorgeous. I'm not sure the dew will ever leave now that corn is grown so close together that you can't see down the rows. Its interesting to hear how roses grow in different areas.

I'm out of here for the day to enjoy our last day in the fifties with lots of sun. 20's and 30's coming with 2 big snows nearby. I'm hoping they miss but not wishing for anyone to get hit either.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    7 years ago

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Ninkasi, I think people feel that the blooms of Cream Veranda are large in comparison to the size of the overall bush. Mine get about 2.5 inches but the bush itself is only like 10inches by 10inches so the blooms look large for such a small bush with small leaves. Its the same with Solero Vigorosa, except the blooms are perhaps even bigger at 3 inches. That's very large considering the size of the actual plant.

7 years ago

My idea of big and flouncy may be a bit off, but they still look big and flouncy to me. Only 2 main canes, the longest about 18". I was surprised at the size and amount of blooms on this tiny plant. I am estimating the blooms at just under 4". You are right, SoFL Rose, the size of the little plant does make the blooms appear even larger. I can't get enough of this color, which was also a surprise. I thought it was going to be more of a cream.

7 years ago

I used to have Caramella and Cinderella Fair Tale roses. They were healthy here but very large roses that bloom in flushes. I removed them and replaced with ones that bloomed a little more.

Summer Romance and Dark Desire were both new this year. I seen some beautiful photos of Summer Romance If mine is half as good I'll be thrilled. Both roses were bs free and no mildew this year. Saw a least a couple flowers on each. Was happy with both so I'll see how they do here in the coming years.

I'll try to keep track of my winter temps and weather or not there is surviving cane. I'm to use to just accepting what is and not giving it much thought. I also don't say much about scent. As mentioned before all scent means to me is that there will be few nice blooms from early July to sometimes as long as the end of Sept. Most years the jb season is shorter. Their preferred roses here are the scented ones. Given 2 identical roses one with scent one without. I will take unscented any day. My poor Roseraie de l'hay gets one spring flush the beetles get all the rest.

7 years ago

I'm trying to post a photo, but computer not cooperating.

7 years ago

Cream Veranda

7 years ago

Yep, they look big and flounce to me

Wow

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Wow, yours are gorgeous! I bout an or from chamblees this year and flowers have been much smaller-an inch and a 1/2 maybe. I'm gess in they will get larger with age. What are you feeding yours, flowersaremusic?

7 years ago

Floweraremusic where did you get your CV from. It does not look like mine at all. That does not mean mine is right. I did get Floral Fairy Tale from Roses Unlimited this year. That does not resemble my original FFT from Palatine when they were first introduced.

Both CV and FFT are mostly thornless. CV shows some apricot in bud once open in cooler weather it;s blush pink turning cream and cream in heat.

My oringinal FFT is more apricot in bloom and opens apricot quickly fading to cream.

The FFT that I got from RU looks very much like your rose. It also has thorns thou not to many. It's beautiful but not the real FFT.

Will the real Cream Veranda please stand up.

7 years ago

Oh, and the FFT from RU has smaller thicker leaves and much larger flowers than my originals. Here isa photo of my original FFT from Palatine.

My Cream Veranda looks just like this only cream colored occasionally blush pink. Either way I'll take one of your please.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

I thought I read that RU had a shipment of mislabled FFT? I would contact them about it..

7 years ago

Thanks, Kristine. I was beginning to doubt myself there for a minute. Kelly, I feed all my roses with alfalfa tea and manure tea and with RoseTone in the planting mix. Patty, I bought my Cream Veranda from Northland Rosarium. Mine looks like the photo on their website which I believe is a Newflora photo and like the Cream Veranda in their display gardens. Your FFT is close in color to CV. Lovely rose. It's been on my list for awhile. My only Fairy Tale roses are Cinderella.

I was reading on another thread (Newflora Kordes Roses - lets rate them to provide feedback - July '15) that CV has a deeper color in hot weather. It's usually the opposite with most roses, isn't it? We had an exceptionally hot summer and I took the photos late afternoon, which intensifies the color.

If Chris is still here, maybe he will chime in to verify my CV is indeed CV.

7 years ago

I'm happy Northland is where I'm getting my new one. I read that thread also. It's what got me thinking about getting a new one. Thank you so much for posting your photo.

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Hmm, flowersaremusic, my two Cream Verandas don't look like yours either. They look more like the photo Patty shows. Lisa

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    7 years ago

My CV also matches Patty's pic.

7 years ago

Lisa and wirosarian, I think there are so many variables that affect how a rose looks and grows. The climate, soil, amendments, and age of the plant. Also, they can look totally different at various stages of bloom. I have 3 Marchesa Boccellas that all look a little different. The oldest one is by far the nicest with a better shaped bush and bigger, fuller blooms.

7 years ago

I just googled Cream Veranda Rose Bush and clicked images. There are a lot of photos of this rose, some look like Patty's picture and some look like mine.

7 years ago

Flowersaremusic I agree with you on above climate ect. Mine was nine years old and had not been nearly as beautiful as usual for the last 2 maybe 3 years. I decided to dig it up at the end of this year and replace it. Is was full of disease with very small flowers. while digging part of the crown broke off. I reached down and pushed on more of the crown that part broke off. No wonder the poor rose was looking poorly as the crown was in decay. I could also see that it was grafted since I plant those on a angle. In my wetter environment and needing to bury grafts that the grafted area eventually rots away and effects the crown. Could also be affected by below zero weather.

I'm also considering applying more fertilizer. Sort of thinking that some continuous bloom roses could use more than what I give them.

Felt so bad taking out the old rose. Happy now that it is done and a fresh new beauty will be coming.

7 years ago

I want to back up a minute. I was scrolling through the feed looking for Kordes roses and thought I found another thread where Cream Veranda was discussed. I'm embarrassed to say I was on the early comments on this thread. So sorry if my confusion confused anyone else.

Patty, Good luck with your new plant. Your last one went through quite an ordeal with the crown breaking apart. Growing roses in these cold climates can be a real labor of love.

• Ninkasi
    7 years ago

Thanks all for sharing your experience with cream Veranda! Mine sometimes looks like Patty's and sometimes takes on the shape of flowersaremusic's but don't appear to be that big. Different gardens, different aspects, different conditions I suppose. It is still a good rose regardless.

7 years ago

I have to agree that so much is due to our zone, our soil, and our location in the garden. I have too roses in totally different locations one does really well and one is faded and not so good looking at all

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Yes, that's certainly true. Both of my CV are in big hanging planters. One is always blooming and one just gives me one bloom here and there.. Same source, same shipment. Lisa