SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Cabinet latches for Hoosier style built ins

We are keeping the original (1926) Hoosier style built-ins in our ongoing kitchen remodel. These drove a lot of the decisions in our remodel and is kind of centerpiece visually.

The pull out counter is being re-enameled. The whole thing is being painted blue. The hinges are being replaced with something more correct for the period, the drawers are getting bin pulls, the doors are getting knobs. Except that both sets of doors above the counter are getting latches. These will be the only latches in the kitchen.

I specified these from house of antique hardware (in polished nickel).

But they came in and my GC isn't happy with them. The movement to open them is stiff and the oval pice that you use to turn it is thin and feels uncomfortable on the thumb.

He is suggesting switching to something like this.

I'm not sure. And I'm not sure if I have just pictured it one way for long enough that I'm not adjusting or if my choice really does look better.

It seems like there ought to be something that looks like what I chose that will function better. There are only two of them so the cost isn't too important. I don't want to spend $100 each but would definitely go up to $25 each for some thing that looks really nice, works well and will last a very long time.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (24)