SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

discouraging badgers,etc

User
8 years ago

I'm making a rose garden in the midst of my woodland property. I decided to pose my question here however, because this situation is so particular and different from that of most of the people on the rose forums,though I guess I'll post there, too.

The rose garden part has a tall wire fence around it,yet I find that as soon as I seem to keep out one pest, another is waiting in the wings to cause trouble. After an Internet search,I conclude that my current pest may be badgers .I have already re-inforced places in the fence where wild hogs /boar managed to dig under, but these guys spread the wires of the fence apart to enter as well! So I'm thinking at this point that I'll probably have to aim towards surrounding the entire periphery of the garden with sheet metal (there's no electricity so I can't use deterrments that depend on that). But I think that , as with insects, an IPM approach is best,so I was wondering: is there anything that has an odour that tends to repel badgers? (rosemary seems to help with deer, for example). Also, what do all of you woodlanders think of the idea of leaving a big basin full of water far away from the garden, to provide them with something to drink? according to Internet, they dig for juicy grubs, etc,and in this heat and drought my garden must seem very tempting to them,but if they had access to moisture elsewhere, might it help? I hesitate, because I know that on principle one should try not to intervene with wildlfe...regards, bart

Comment (1)

• wayne
    8 years ago

I don't think the water will have much effect, if it is badgers, they usually eat rodents but I'm sure fat grubs would be on the list also. You could try hardware cloth, it would have to be secured really well, it comes in 1/2" squares that will also keep out large snakes and such. Good Luck.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath