SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuderte

Let's have a round of applause for my Abraham Darby

tuderte
8 years ago

Here he is - bought last Autumn as an own-root in a 2.5 litre (⅔ gallon) pot. He was planted out in mid-March and was definitely the weakest of the twenty roses I planted then.

We have had eleven consecutive days now of top temperatures over 34 degrees (93F) - with several of 37 (99F). The same heat is set to continue as far forward as our forecast shows (2 weeks).

Yesterday evening I noticed the buds on AD and thought that they would be fried as soon as they opened, however, when I saw them just now (3:30pm - 36 degrees - not yet the hottest part of the day here - that happens around 5pm) I had to come inside and grab my iPad to take a shot.

Also posting a second shot to show where the roses are planted - the hedgerow to the right (due West) of the roses was planted in January 2012 and has mercifully grown well and is now over 2 metres in height, however, it only affords protection from the sun to the roses after 5pm.

I noticed another post here recently by someone whose Abraham Darby was completely fried after a few hours of heat (maybe much hotter than what I have here) but I thought I would post this so people don't give up hope that they can get some good blooms in this torrid heat.

My Jude the Obscure, planted at the same time, also has several lovely blooms at the moment.

Abraham Darby

Own-root roses planted March 2015

Tricia

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals