SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel4851

Whirlpool fridge smells when running

Erin Hw
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've done so much research about this topic but have come to a dead end and am in desperate need of advice. I have a Whirlpool GB2FHDXWQ08 22 cu. bottom freezer (see http://www.whirlpool.com/-[GB2FHDXWQ]-1001305/GB2FHDXWQ/) that's less than 2 years old. Several months ago, I noticed an unpleasant odor when the fridge was running. It's hard to describe the smell, but it's like old stinky water. At times it almost smells sweet and mildewy. Here's what I've done:

*Emptied everything in the fridge and freezer, threw out old food

*Wiped down the entire inside of the fridge; looked for leaks/spills

*Found the drip pan (located in the back of the unit) -- there's no water in it, but I wiped the entire area clean with a bleach-water solution

No luck. The smell persists.

I realized in my research that this isn't an uncommon problem for fridges of all brands. I've read forums where people have said they solved this problem by flushing the drain tube or cleaning the coils. Problem is, my "service manual" (which isn't a service manual at all, just user instructions) has no information about where these things might be located in my fridge. There's no service manual for my fridge online, either. I called Whirlpool and they were ZERO help; they can't even tell me where the drip pan is (I had to figure it out on my own). They said they don't provide technical support for their appliances and I'd have to call a certified repairman.

I would greatly appreciate any advice in terms of how I might solve this problem or any insight as to how this particular model is set up (is it even possible for me to get to the drain tube?!). Thanks in advance!!

Comments (7)