SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Orthodics advice

Oakley
8 years ago

It's always something, isn't it? When I was searching for a really good pair of cushioned summer houseshoes, I found the highly rated Vionics, designed by Podiatrists. Pricey, but if it helped with my plantar facilitis (sp), then I'm all for it. Everywhere I looked they were given 4-5 stars.

They have high arches with thick rubber soles. It took a week or so to get used to them which is what was advised by the makers. After a month, I could zoom aound the house with no pain at all.

Yesterday I noticed my right arch was getting painful. I figured it was the shoe, which is too bad because I do like them. I still think the shoe may have caused it, but see my comment at the end of the post.

Tonight I started rubbing the arch because it hurt pretty bad, even when I'm not walking. I found a pea size lump right in the middle of the arch, under my skin. Freak out time!

I googled it, (it was so easy to find) and it's called "Plantar Fibroma." A benign nodule. It hurts pretty bad when I touch it and the pain lingers.

BTW, I can't take Ibuprophen, my go-to med, because it gave me an ulcer two months ago. :) I'm a mess, aren't I?

I looked up treatment and all the websites by Podiatrists said do nothing if you can bear the pain & it doesn't get worse, while also getting some OTC orthotics.

All the ones I found had high arches, like the Vionics I wear. BUT...the Vionics are hard, no cushioning at all. The foot needs to be in a "neutral" position when wearing orthotics, whatever that is.

Are any of you familiar with Plantar Fibroma and wearing orthotics? Are they super gel soft unlike my hard Vionics? They are comfy though.

I'm waiting until the last minute before I have to see a Podiatrist. End game is surgery if it gets worse, but even surgery won't stop it from coming back.

BTW, I read it's heriditary. Thanks mom and dad!

I'll be back in the morning to check replies. I hope one of you can recommend a good insert for me.

Comments (21)